• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fish peppers

I am growing Fish peppers for the 1st time. I read that the source I received seeds from produced untrue phenotypes for other growers. My question relates to the variegation of these plants.

I planted 2 seeds. One resulted in an all-white seedling that died prior to developing its 1st true leaves. The other plant appears healthy, is currently about 4" tall with 4 sets of leaves, and is all-green.

For those who have personally grown Fish peppers: At what point does the variegation present in this plant? Should it be variegated by now, or does it present later? I am curious as to whether or not this particular example I am growing will be true.

It doesn't become variegated until later at what point exactly hard to tell plants are different and no worries about that all white seedling it is just a chlorophyll free seedling

Whew...thanks for the reassurance folks. As I only have this one plant, I want it to be variegated to be used as the centerpiece in one of my flowerbeds.

mine got there varagation at about 3 inches tall inside the house

variagation is a resesive gene and is quite week and gets washed out if there a cross involve

i have had that happen quite alot

some of my nicest looking plants are more white than any other color
pods have stripes too really cool

thanks your friend Joe

I've had plants that were ALL WHITE with very little green and visa versa.

The first fish pepper plant I got was all white with a few streaks of very light lime green.

I got it free from a stores dumpster-well saw a guy taking plants in that direction...

Other plants are green and have mixed degrees of white streaks.

I do like the more Albino looking plants.
It seems that it doesn't matter about plant variations,the pods still are striped when ripe.

To me the striped pods are a trait of pure fish pepper stock.
To some degree I think that a lack of white also can be an unpure plant.
Seen a LOT of stuff sold as fish that didn't look to me like fish peppers.

As a side not,I saw nothing special about the pods and plant other than looks.
I think it is/was well named.
It was used with heavy salt cures before there were fridges etc.
Salt Cod,Mackerell etc.
Stronger tasting fish when not fresh.
A lot of fish was dried,smoked,pickled or whatever back then.

Just like when Chili was invented to cover up the taste of old beef...

I had heard that the flavor was nothing special, but I have seen photos on the net that screamed "flower bed center piece". I have several types of variegated ornamental grasses that I like to contrast with ornamental peppers. My one bed is strawberry-and-cream grasses alternated with yellow-and-green grasses. I plan on having black mondo grasses for borders with Black Pearl peppers on the ends. If this solitary Fish pepper plant turns out as visually striking as the photos I've seen, that bed will look amazing. Thanks for info everyone.

ms1476 said:
I had heard that the flavor was nothing special, but I have seen photos on the net that screamed "flower bed center piece". I have several types of variegated ornamental grasses that I like to contrast with ornamental peppers. My one bed is strawberry-and-cream grasses alternated with yellow-and-green grasses. I plan on having black mondo grasses for borders with Black Pearl peppers on the ends. If this solitary Fish pepper plant turns out as visually striking as the photos I've seen, that bed will look amazing. Thanks for info everyone.
i hope is does turn out true for you and if it does please post some pic, im not an Annum species fan but i do like the look of the variegated ornamentals,the Fish is a top favorite right up there with Chinese 5 color and Calico

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
i hope is does turn out true for you and if it does please post some pic, im not an Annum species fan but i do like the look of the variegated ornamentals,the Fish is a top favorite right up there with Chinese 5 color and Calico

thanks your friend Joe
I certainly will Joe.

If it's still actual
20 days seedling. Some variegation is alredy observed
Fish_pepper_20days.jpg

25 days seedling
Fish_pepper_25days_plant_overview.jpg

82 days plant
Fish_pepper_82days_plant.jpg

Fish_pepper_100days_leaves.jpg

Even the fruit was variegated
Fish_pepper_82days_pod.jpg

Fish_pepper_114days_pod_colour_changing.jpg

Beautiful pics. Thank you for the reassurance. I am sure that others will also benefit from your shared knowledge. Thanks for the detailed timeline.

ms1476 said:
Beautiful pics. Thank you for the reassurance. I am sure that others will also benefit from your shared knowledge. Thanks for the detailed timeline.
Don't mention it! :)

Back