• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Flashbang Hot Sauce - Oh dear god why?

ajdrew said:
Still kind of scratching on this one JayT.  In a threat speaking about extracts, where did I say anyone who eats superhots is doing so to show off?

I found it for you.
ajdrew said:
Westin, I feel about the same way.  I think there is a macho thing going on with the over the top sauces.  Its not about the food at that point, it is about showing off.  Same for eating whole pods at the ghost pepper and above level.  I tend to cut the seed and placenta out and rinse with cold water.  That way I can use more peppers in cooking before it gets too hot.  Gets more of the flavor from the pepper into the food.

I think there's more than a few chili heads that don't really know what a lot of the super hots taste like because the burn overwhelms the flavors.  Is why I am often amazed by artisan sauces, by people who can bring the flavor of the pepper out.

ajdrew said:
Salsalady, have you ever left pepper oil on the dish soap bottle by mistake?  Oh damn that was almost a divorce.  She kept screaming after getting it in her eyes, figured it was on her hands, washing her hands, then screaming some more after touching her eye.  Lasted thirty minutes before I figured it out and begged for forgiveness.

Now, when processing peppers, I have my own dish soap, paper towels, knives, and anything else I might need i one of those plastic tubs.  That was the compromise that commuted my death sentence.
That has happened to most of us in some degree.  Fortunately, I have a separate kitchen where all pepper-related things go on.  They enter at their own risk and assume all surfaces to be contaminated. 

JayT - No sir you did not.  I said over the top sauces and whole pods above a million SHU / ghost pepper range.  That is much different than saying I think people eat super hots just to show off.  For dinner, I had home made pizza with 7 Pot Jonah puree lathered on top because I enjoy it.  I would not enjoy eating a bowl of 7 Pot Jonah pods & that is from a guy who eats pickled ghost pepper pods whole.  Once you get over ghost pepper, I have a hard time believing a person actually enjoys eating them whole.

This is why the youtube video reviews of the various super hot pods have people puking up their guts after about the million shu range.

ajdrew said:
I said over the top sauces and whole pods above a million SHU / ghost pepper range.  That is much different than saying I think people eat super hots just to show off.  ...

...I have a hard time believing a person actually enjoys eating them whole.

You confuse me sometimes.

I think quite a few people would say the same thing about ghost peppers. Quite a few people would say that no one eats a Habanero except to show off because they are too hot to eat. Sure, they're wrong, but why is the limit they believe wrong while your limit is right? No doubt the people you describe exist, but no doubt there are those who eat superhots because they like them. I'd bet there are even people who eat extract sauce because they like the taste. That's hard to imagine but I'd be surprised if there weren't people who like that taste.

You mention youtube videos with people eating a pepper and throwing up. What about the ones where someone eats a pepper and calmly describes the taste?

Transient Exuberance said:
I'd bet there are even people who eat extract sauce because they like the taste. That's hard to imagine but I'd be surprised if there weren't people who like that taste.

Defcon Sauces Defense Condition 1 is the most popular wing sauce on our forum, and it is an extract sauce. And his Zero extract is phenomenal, and also popular. There's good and bad with everything. 

The Hot Pepper said:

Defcon Sauces Defense Condition 1 is the most popular wing sauce on our forum, and it is an extract sauce. And his Zero extract is phenomenal, and also popular. There's good and bad with everything. 
That's another good point. There are even extract sauces that do taste good.

I was more getting at the extreme variance in what different people like. I'm sure that for any sauce on the market there are people who like the taste.

ajdrew said:
JayT - No sir you did not.  I said over the top sauces and whole pods above a million SHU / ghost pepper range.  That is much different than saying I think people eat super hots just to show off.  For dinner, I had home made pizza with 7 Pot Jonah puree lathered on top because I enjoy it.  I would not enjoy eating a bowl of 7 Pot Jonah pods & that is from a guy who eats pickled ghost pepper pods whole.  Once you get over ghost pepper, I have a hard time believing a person actually enjoys eating them whole.

This is why the youtube video reviews of the various super hot pods have people puking up their guts after about the million shu range.

I am not trying to go tit for tat with you AJ, I just quoted what you said, maybe it came out different than you meant.

JayT. I picked the million shu / above ghost pepper heat because that seems to be where people start to puke.  Yep, you can nail the average person with a ghost pepper but it seems to take a bit more to be a hiccup maker or puke invoker.

On trading tit for tat, i got two questions.
1. Where do I get the later?
2. Where do I trade it for the former?

Back