• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flea beetles

I had a small infestation of flea beetles last summer and wanted to be prepared to really control them when they emerge. A neem oil based organic insecticide had limited success with their control. I've heard diatometous earth is a good control for the little s.o.b.'s. Anyone have success with this?

DAN

Plant you a couple of eggplants as a catch crop. Those little buggers would rather eat eggplant than anything else I know of. So, if you can't get rid of them you'll at least be able to distract them away from your peppers.

Alan

Might try this

http://www.tiptopbio.com/heterorhabditis_bacteriophora.html

Gotta use it early to stop the grub stage.
Nematodes have worked great for me with different grubs that were eating my potted plants roots.
I had a june bug invasion one year(day glow metalic blue guys),fixed their little red wagons quick.
Before Nematodes I had up to 70 grubs in my 20 gal. pots when I changed soil because the plant died.
Haven't seen a grub or beetle in a long time.
I think the nematodes stay in the soil so I add a little old soil to my new potting soil so they stay around.
Must be working-no more grubs after 3 yrs.

Gotta respect a critter that crawls up a grubs butt and eats it from the inside. :eek:
Talk about an agonizing reapraisal...

Might try this

http://www.tiptopbio.com/heterorhabditis_bacteriophora.html

Gotta use it early to stop the grub stage.
Nematodes have worked great for me with different grubs that were eating my potted plants roots.

ROCK ON SMOKE! Didn't think of nematodes......hmmmmmmm! Looks like I might have a couple control options here. I just have to do some shopping!

By the way,I use their Nematode mix that goes after other stuff too.
I'd try the mix.
Only reason I use Tip Top is because they are 10 miles away from where I live.
Might be other places cheeper I don't know.
Local I can go back and bitch...
I'm moving my garden to a new place.I will definately add them to my compost pile before I use the finnished compost.

Well, once all this snow melts around here in the northeast, I'm planning a little "prescribed burning" in the garden. Hopefully, that will be a good kickstart to the eviction of the beetles. Anyone have a good link for flamethrowers for sale?????

No ,but this looks fun and could start a fire...

http://www.rodentblaster.com/

See video-rodent blaster.

Check out here for more Explosive demo videos-more fun to watch. :lol:
Since grubs are in the ground,you might need napalm to burn out your flea beetles.Don't know how far down they go in the soil.

Here's a link to ATTRA, which might give you a few ideas.

In a more general sense, I've heard that turning your ground mid-winter helps kill overwintering beatles, grubs, etc. Supposed to freeze their asses. I was up in southern PA last weekend. I couldn't believe all the fields the Amish turned when we had those 65-70 degree days last Thur/Fri. Absolutely perfect timing with the re-freeze/snow on Monday.

By the way,I use their Nematode mix that goes after other stuff too.
I'd try the mix.
Only reason I use Tip Top is because they are 10 miles away from where I live.
Might be other places cheeper I don't know.
Local I can go back and bitch...
I'm moving my garden to a new place.I will definately add them to my compost pile before I use the finnished compost.

Nice site smokemaster. I'll probably try em out.

I used Spinosad to battle flea beetles on my eggplants last year, but new ones kept hopping over to replace the dead ones. DE also didn't completely stop them.

I had them really bad last year and the DE worked well enough, but I am going to go the nematode route this year to try and completely avoid them. I am glad I saw this because I completely for got abot those little basterds. I hope you are able to conquer them.

go to you local pool supply store and get the DE for DE pool filters...same same...

Back