• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Floating Seeds

I wouldn't soak the seeds long in water like some have suggested. By the time they take the soaked seeds out of the water I'd have plants popping up (superhots excluded). I just soak em for 8 hours then I put them in a humid environment. Putting them in water might even be pointless. The seeds should get wet enough in a nice hot humid environment. I have germinated seeds that float, so that's a myth. I'm not sure why they float. Maybe from having small air pockets?

Floaters and sinkers can both germinate, its an old myth.
I personally don't see the need for soaking chile seeds, they are very thin and don't need to be primed like other thick seeds, and chile seeds usually germinate just fine on their own in the proper warm/damp environment

Myth in chilli growing but it does actually have some merit with seeds of different plant types and I think that is where the common misconceptions come from

A long time ago I was told you float test fresh seeds before you dry them for storage.

Some seeds are just shells and they are supposed to only have air in them and they float.

A good seed with stuff in it sinks.

I don't know if that goes for all seeds or just certain kinds.
I remember stuff like morning glories having statements on the packs saying they were float tested and floaters were taken out of the batch of seeds before they were packaged for sales.

I was told the float test for dry rehydrated seeds isn't going to prove anything...I'd think they would sink,if the above is true.

Back