• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flower and pod question

Does each flower make 1 pod? If I hand pollinate 10 of 20 flowers with another pepper I will get 10 pods with hybrid seeds from those flowers and the other flowers will make 10 more normal ones right? Are the seeds in a pod identical twins or fraternal twins?

alawn said:
Does each flower make 1 pod?

I believe so, yes. Or, each flower has the potential to make one pod. Not all do, some fall off for various reasons.

If I hand pollinate 10 of 20 flowers with another pepper I will get 10 pods with hybrid seeds from those flowers and the other flowers will make 10 more normal ones right? Are the seeds in a pod identical twins or fraternal twins?

Er..I think fraternal, but you know, I've never really thought about it before.

alawn said:
Does each flower make 1 pod? If I hand pollinate 10 of 20 flowers with another pepper I will get 10 pods with hybrid seeds from those flowers and the other flowers will make 10 more normal ones right? Are the seeds in a pod identical twins or fraternal twins?
you must emasculate the flower before attempting to cross pollenate with another variety...
http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54
I picked up this link here at The HOT Pepper,
it has alot of great information and pictures too,
of just how it is done.
the seeds in the pod have the same geno type,but may very well show different pheno typical expression in its growth and or peppers.
example, if you purchase an F1 Hybrid and grow only this variety,then save seeds for the following season,the resulting plants will not show the same hybrid vigor as its parent/parents
it will be an F2 seed and will show variation,even though it has the same genectics as its parents.

have fun, this can be really fun to make your own hybrid.

pablo

If the F2 seeds in a single F1 pod are identical twins then they should genetically be identical and from the same pod all would be the same assuming equal growing conditions. If they are fraternal the seeds from the same pod would be much more varied. So you think they are fraternal?

thanks for the link. That site is very helpful.

I have another question. What do I do If one flowers before the other one?

alawn said:
Are the seeds in a pod identical twins or fraternal twins?

Each seed is an ovule that was pollinated with a single pollen grain.
So if you are pollinating with a brush that has pollen from different plants(habanero,jalapeno...), in a single pod you can have many different type of F1 seeds(MotherPlant X habanero,MotherPlant X jalapeno.....).

habman said:
Each seed is an ovule that was pollinated with a single pollen grain.
So if you are pollinating with a brush that has pollen from different plants(habanero,jalapeno...), in a single pod you can have many different type of F1 seeds(MotherPlant X habanero,MotherPlant X jalapeno.....).

Ok thanks.

alawn said:
I have another question. What do I do If one flowers before the other one?

i guess you could try hanging on to the male parts of the flower from the first one, then use the later flowering plant as the mother... don't know if that would work, maybe a good experiment?

or if you see flower buds starting on one you could give the other a blooming fertilizer i guess. if you keep african violets just use that fertilizer...

Just so you know, the ones you don't intentionally cross pollinate may still be cross pollinated with something, but as has been stated, it will have no effect on the pod that is formed, just it's seeds.

isn't there a time frame on how long the sperm (pollen) is viable after it is produced?

GrumpyBear said:
i guess you could try hanging on to the male parts of the flower from the first one, then use the later flowering plant as the mother... don't know if that would work, maybe a good experiment?

or if you see flower buds starting on one you could give the other a blooming fertilizer i guess. if you keep african violets just use that fertilizer...

those women.. always willing to castrate a brother. Men don't speak of such things.

ABurningMouth said:
those women.. always willing to castrate a brother. Men don't speak of such things.

in this case it'd be more like castrating a hermaphrodite than a brother, but yea that's the idea ;)

ABurningMouth said:
I though you could freeze it. Like the aforementioned.

i've done it with succulents but i think it only works for some plants. also after a while it's still no good.

Back