• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

flower buds dropping off!!!

I have a problem!! I have two very nice healthy looking trinidad scorpion butch T pepper plants growing in a large pot inside my house. They are about 2 and a half feet tall and are looking great except for one problem. The opened flowers and now the unopened buds are falling off!! I really don't know whats going on and I could use some advice. I got 2 LED red/blue grow lights on the plant that are set for the right light spectrum for flowering and fruiting and is set on a timer for 11 on and 13 off. the soil is lightly damp and not over watered. I use a fish based fertilizer who's ratio is 5-1-1 every 2 weeks. my house thermostat says its 73 degrees and holding that temp. Anyone got any ideas what i may be doing wrong? Please help!!

there are many reason s why plants drop buds, and one is too much Nitrogen. also, do you have a fan blowing on them? there needs to be some sort of help pollinating be it you, air, insects.

there are many reason s why plants drop buds, and one is too much Nitrogen. also, do you have a fan blowing on them? there needs to be some sort of help pollinating be it you, air, insects.

I have a ceiling fan that is close to them and the leaves on the plants are definitely moving so there is air circulation. just to be safe, I'm buying a small soft tip artisan paintbrush to pollinate. I think i am going to switch to a low nitro fert and see if that helps. any suggestions on a good brand?

I have a ceiling fan that is close to them and the leaves on the plants are definitely moving so there is air circulation. just to be safe, I'm buying a small soft tip artisan paintbrush to pollinate. I think i am going to switch to a low nitro fert and see if that helps. any suggestions on a good brand?
i use Dyna gro Foliage pro for the growth stage its 9-3-6, and once lots of flowers start opening up i switch to dyna grow "Bloom" its 4-8-7 so its reducing the nitrogen level. and in my DWC buckets i use General hydroponics "bloom" once they flowers start to appear and that stuff works great for me.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
I like number 11 haha I feel like that everyday :)

I couldn't find any of the ferts you guys listed around my area but i did buy some miracle gro bloom booster. its numbers are fairly high. It's at 15-30-15. but everything else i looked at all had too much nitrogen for my taste. Hopefully this does the trick. Thanks for all the helpful tips and comments you guys. I will update this thread on the condition of my plants in a week or so. Maybe a few pics as well!! Thanks again!!

I couldn't find any of the ferts you guys listed around my area but i did buy some miracle gro bloom booster. its numbers are fairly high. It's at 15-30-15. but everything else i looked at all had too much nitrogen for my taste. Hopefully this does the trick. Thanks for all the helpful tips and comments you guys. I will update this thread on the condition of my plants in a week or so. Maybe a few pics as well!! Thanks again!!
you do not have any hydroponic shops in your area? i would use that fert you got at 1/4 strength at first to see if it helps.

+1
That's still pretty high in nitrogen, something lower would be more telling as to if that's the cause of the drop.
Maybe grab some potash (easy to find), water that in really well, and lay off the liquids for a week or so and see if it improves.

I will locate some potash and give that a shot. I know this fert is pretty high in nitrogen still but also is high in the other two. seems like almost all ferts I find are too high in nitro and not so much in the potash and phosphates. Its annoying.

not to just throw more crap in the pot so to speak... but did you add any dolomite lime or Calcium and epsom salts to your soil?

no. I didn't add any of those. I just added some bone meal to increase the phosphate but am having a hard time finding any potash around my area nurseries. I'm afraid now that if i add any more stuff to the pot, it may cause some adverse reactions in the plant.

Potash is easy, make a fire, drink beer... feed fire, drink beer til ya had enough... go to bed. Next morning put the ash on your plants. Burn hard wood if ya can. I use bon fire ashes, and it helps with drop, water it in good.

I have Just started to have a bunch of my flowers drop off (after all the initial ones set pods easily) . I am putting it down to my pot size not being able to support all the growth of new pods and the development of the current ones. I am going to pot up to a pot double the size and see if that helps at all.

Potash is easy, make a fire, drink beer... feed fire, drink beer til ya had enough... go to bed. Next morning put the ash on your plants. Burn hard wood if ya can. I use bon fire ashes, and it helps with drop, water it in good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potash

i think he was referring to this

Bone meal is an extremely poor source of usable phosphates, forget it.

I would be following Willard's advice and just leave them alone.

well I have been leaving them alone and the leaves on the top of the plant are looking kinda funny. Here are some pics of what they look like. Any ideas as to whats going on?

plant2.jpg

plant1-1.jpg

Back