• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

flowers transitioning to pods ... please describe

Would someone please describe how flowers turn to pods? What do the flowers do when they are pollinated? How long does it take? I am watching my indoor ghost pepper plant. I have plenty of flowers now, but the first of them started dropping off today. Flowers are good and I had been looking forward to having them, back before I didn't have them. Now that I do have flowers I can't wait to see pods. When the pods do come, I will be watching for them to turn that shade of bright red like the peppers I bought from the grocery store. For now, though, could some of you more experienced growers tell me about it, please?

The petals will droop after a few days to a week and fall off, leaving the center bit intact. It is very normal for the first several flowers to fall off the plant before a pod sets in, and it can take a few weeks before the pods turn from green to red.

What cuzzfish said.  After the petals fall off, it kind of looks like a pimple that grows.  No real shape at first.  It just kind of swells up from the center of where the flower was

Ive gotten 2 pods off of 4 first year plants.  TONS of flowers.  TONS of flower drop.  Ive read every explanation for it from not enough nutrients, to much nutrients, to hot, to cold, to much water, not enough water, to much sun, not enough sun, to small of a pot, to large of a pot, etc...  The best explanation I think I am going with is "they are first year plants, give em time to mature". 

I say that to say dont get discouraged if you have a lot of flower drop before you set pods.

Do you have more than one plant?  Most nightshades tend to have more productive bloom phases when they have their leaves touching another plant of the same species.   

Do you have a fan going for your plant?  Fans help stimulate the plant so it's releasing pollen.  Flowers are reactive to external stimuli on capsicums such as insects, wind, or a light flick every so often.

There were two plants, but my neighbors killed one and I brought the other inside. I have seed for Carolina Reaper now - thanks, Ajdrew - and in the beginning of December I plan to buy seed for two other kinds. I was hoping to get more ghost pepper seeds from pods grown in my own kitchen.

So far lots of flowers and only a couple have dropped. Only entire flowers so far; not petals. It still surprises me how small the flowers are compared to the size of the plant.

No far, but I am tapping the plant lightly when I go in the kitchen. Sometimes it seems to catch a small random draft and the leaves shake.

When I have more money I am definitely going to invest in expanding my pepper growing. I have a couple of roma tomato sprouts. My cilantro withered and died. There are a couple people in town who share my interest in hot peppers. I want to see how they are at growing them, once I have more sprouts.

Back