• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Foliar Feeding - how young is too young?

Hey all.

I'm wanting to start foliar Feeding Epsom salts and ferts but wondering - how old/developed should plans be to avoid the risk of harming young leaves?

Cheers
George

Proud Marine Dad said:
What makes you think they need Epsom salts?
Slight signs of deficiency which were rectified with Epsom last season. The medium they are in is pretty low in nutrients and minerals.

Proud Marine Dad said:
What makes you think they need Epsom salts?
Helps with blossom end rot in peppers and tomatoes.  I only foliar feed when i put my plants outdoors, once a week with epsom salt and cal mag and my tea brew.

If I could readily find even half the stuff you guys can buy at home depot, I'd be blessed.

As it stands, I struggle. Japan makes gardening difficult outside of generic ferts and peat Moss. Just buying basics requires homework

You can start foliar feeding at any time, but that which gets past the leaves into the soil needs to be monitored because with the plant still small the uptake is slower and soil concentration can easier rise to an excessive level.

However, I think you can still do better with the soil.  Mixing regular ground soil with moss and using generic fertilizer is usually enough until young plants get too large for the pots they're in.

I've been using dilute seaweed fert on them since first true leaves.
I think I can get away with foliar, they aren't so little any more.
ZSkwWiT.jpg

I'm thinking of using seaweed extract as well. How much do i need to dilute it if the npk is stated as 4 - 3 - 2 + TE ? And do you wait until the true leaves are big bfore fertilising or can i fertilise them when i see new growth poking out? Thank you!

I diluted mine 1ml to 1 litre of water and fed to roots. It's very dilute. I'd say wait until new leaves are out, it shows the plant is in photosynthesis stage.

georgej said:
I diluted mine 1ml to 1 litre of water and fed to roots. It's very dilute. I'd say wait until new leaves are out, it shows the plant is in photosynthesis stage.
Okay thank you!! Another thing.. Do you water from the bottom? My chimayo died from damping off so i'm a little wary of watering from the top.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Make a better soil and epsom salts and calmag wont be needed. Crab meal is excellent.
I second that, oyster shell meal is great as well. I've found this economic organic fertilizer im gonna be using called chickity doo doo (lol) has 9-10% calcium. It'd 5-3-2.5...They have it at osh.. 18 bucks for a 25lb bag.

just an suggestion because of the calcium. (im gonna try it though, along with worm castings and compost tea.)
best of luck man.

I have some liquid calcium which I can dilute and foliar, already. I'm gonna combine with Epsom salts (friend of mine has been using the same product with good results).

My question was more when can I do so without burning them.

georgej said:
I have some liquid calcium which I can dilute and foliar, already. I'm gonna combine with Epsom salts (friend of mine has been using the same product with good results).

My question was more when can I do so without burning them.
Sorry.
Xtreme gardening calcarb then. Doesn't burn. Regardless of age.

jedisushi06 said:
Helps with blossom end rot in peppers and tomatoes.  I only foliar feed when i put my plants outdoors, once a week with epsom salt and cal mag and my tea brew.

Do you use all those on the same day, or one per week?
georgej said:
If I could readily find even half the stuff you guys can buy at home depot, I'd be blessed.

As it stands, I struggle. Japan makes gardening difficult outside of generic ferts and peat Moss. Just buying basics requires homework

Pretty much. -_- 
George, I started spraying my plants over the weekend with dilute seaweed extract mixed with lacto bacillus. Seems to be doing okay.

Back