Food mill

I'm thinking of getting a food mill this coming year. Using the strainer is rather tedious.

I'll probably end up with the KitchenAid attachment because if I am going to make the purchase, might as well make it powered so I don't have to crank. :D

I have a couple of questions for you food mill users:

Raw or cooked? It seems like most tomato recipes I see use raw tomatoes. Most hot sauce recipes I see use cooked veggies. Any preferences?

Why use after a blender? I've seen several posts where people run the hot sauces through the food mill after it has been through the blender. My KitchenAid blender pulverizes the seeds. if I were to run it through the food mill after it was blended, I wouldn't think there would be anything left to catch.

Thoughts/comments?

Kitchen Aid attachment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5zDYWjzV0

I'm still using the hand crank style, but this looks interesting.  I use mine after blending and cooking, and it does a good job removing the big seed chunks and skin.The resulting sauce is very smooth. The video show them processing raw tomatoes.  I don't think it would work with peppers unless they were cooked and somewhat mashed up.  Anyone use one?

hottoddy said:
 The video show them processing raw tomatoes.  I don't think it would work with peppers unless they were cooked and somewhat mashed up.  Anyone use one?

That is what I was thinking. Also, it might work better with cooked tomatoes too. In the video it looked like it was spitting out a good bit of pulp with the seeds and skin. If the tomatoes were cooked, the pulp might push through easier.

My wife picked one up for me a while back for $50 and i love it.  its the "oxo good grips food mill" comes with three strainer attachements

I always cook mine and i agree i dont think to much stuff would work in the food mill if it wasnt cooked first. 

I prefer an immersion blender. There's no hint of the tomato skin in the sauce I made this morning because the blender completely pulverized it. keeping the solids in instead of straining or milling them out helps make a thicker sauce, IMO.

beerbreath81 said:
My wife picked one up for me a while back for $50 and i love it.  its the "oxo good grips food mill" comes with three strainer attachements

I always cook mine and i agree i dont think to much stuff would work in the food mill if it wasnt cooked first. 

I have the same food mill and love it.  3 different sized screens take care of whatever you need, and its seen a lot of work in the last year without any trouble.  Agree that cooked (or fermented) ingredients are always easier to process.  I will cook all my hot sauces and hot pepper ferments first, then put them through the food mill.  After that I bring the sauces back up to temp, stick blend the holy Christmas out of them and after that its to the bottle.   

beerbreath81 said:

Interesting. I will have to look more into that one. 3 strainer attachments may be the ticket. Some pepper seeds are pretty small.

Add me in as an Oxo owner.  I am new to it since I just learned about them from this site but I have used it twice now, once for hot sauce and once for making prune danish filling.  Both times the product had been cooked first but it did a great job removing skins and seeds.

-Alden

I'm also a OXO owner. I bought it for my attempts at hot sauce making and it works great(my sauce not so much...haha). The different discs give you options on particle sizes you want passing through into your final product.
  A small hint: if doing tomatoes, try blanching them in hot water for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to cold water for 1-2 minutes and the skins just practically fall off on their own.
  The OXO does a great job of de-seeding things if they have been cooked 1st as mentioned by other posters.

OhioHeat

Back