gadgets food PH meters

ok I know having a PH meter is very important if anyone plans on making hot sauce. & I know this has been talked about before on this forum.
though I have another question that I dont know if its ever been asked ?

just like any other type of product you buy, theres cheap POS products that work for a short time or halfassed, or overpriced, or lack features you'd like.
so in short of those that have bought food PH meters is there any certain brand that are short lived POS meters (to stay away from) or overpriced. or certain features you like on the meter.

which brand of PH meters do you like ?

CH, I read the same reports on the POS pH meters...I had bought one that had three probes and liked it ok...it was just not that accurate...I would measure the same stuff different times and get a different reading each time...I then opted to buy a Milwaukee SM-101...I really like it but the buffer solutions to calibrate the meter with aren't that cheap when you include shipping...

overall I like it better than anything else I have tried...

Ch, I also have a Milwaukee and really like mine. I have had zero problems with it and was really impressed with the customer support when I bought it.

thanks both of ya for the recommondation of the milwaukee meters.
I looked at their website & glanced through it, will look into it more later.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com

I didnt find the price list, I guess I'll look on ebay. what kind of price range are milwakee ph meters ?

AJ - dont the ph meters come already calibrated, or does the calibration need to be checked often ?

PF - what model did you buy, & did you buy directly from milwakee ?

chilehunter said:
thanks both of ya for the recommondation of the milwaukee meters.
I looked at their website & glanced through it, will look into it more later.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com

I didnt find the price list, I guess I'll look on ebay. what kind of price range are milwakee ph meters ?

AJ - dont the ph meters come already calibrated, or does the calibration need to be checked often ?

PF - what model did you buy, & did you buy directly from milwakee ?

I can answer both those questions, I think...
I too have the SM-101 and love how easy it is to use. If I remember right, it was right around $75, don't quote me on this cause I really can't remember. I personally would skip ebay and just call them up and speak to them directly. Excellent customer service.

These meters do come already calibrated along with calibration solution. I have had my meter for about 1 year and have only used the solution once and that was just to check the calibration, which tested okay.

Here is what I do: I keep a small pocket note book with my meter and in it I record the dates and readings that I get from testing plain water. You could use tap water or bottled water if thats what you drink. I think it is important that if you start your log with which ever one, then that's what you should stick with. Then before I use it, I run a test on plain water and if the reading is the same as before or very close, I continue with my use. One time I got a weird reading from my water test, so I pulled out the testing solution and tested the calibration, turns out that it was my water that had changed, cause the meter was still right on.

chilehunter said:
how do both of you store the meter when not using it ? like months never using it.

It comes with a rubber cap that fits over the sensor and you are suppose to keep distilled water in it to keep the tip moist. Other than that, I just have it in the box it came in and keep it in a drawer. Nothing special.

Back