• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Foodarama?

I have 10 plants from a seed packet labeled "Foodarama Scotch Bonnet." Of the plants that are producing, at least 2 are bearing pods like the ones pictured here, and the others are setting traditional Bonnet-shaped pods. Is there pod shape variation of this magnitude within the Foodarama variety, or were some other chinense variety's seeds mixed in with my Foodarama seeds?

Foodarama1.jpg

then they are definitely Foodarama's...pod variation is normal....I have been growing these for several years now...

lord have mercy...don't blame it on me.... :rofl:

all joking aside, those grow very good for me here and the plants will have pods shaped like the ones in your hand along with bonnet shaped pods too...

Heh...or, if they're awesome, you get the credit.... :P

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. Soon, I should have good side-by-side, in-ground production from True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Foodarama Scotch Bonnet, and Bahamian Goat Pepper, 30 plants in all. It will be interesting to compare not only their relative heat, flavor, aroma, pod size, etc., but also plant vitality, robustness, productivity, and especially how they handle another Infernal Summer...

Gary

Thanks TK! I just ate one of these pods at lunch today. Aside from the atypical shape and thinner flesh, the taste is very much like the True Jamaican. What sets this chile apart is that it is SPICY! I'm thinking orders of magnitude hotter than the TJSB pods I am producing right alongside these.

I feel confident in highly recommending this chile any fan of the True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. :P

Gary

all peppers that are called scotch bonnet do not have the typical tam shape....the Big Sun Scotch Bonnet is a good example and does not have the tam shape however, they are chinense true scotch bonnets...

one of the things about the Jamaican Red and Yellow hots is that they are annuums and not chinense...

another thought about the scotch bonnet shape is they are kinda like Trinidad Scorpions....all scorpions do not have stingers but yet, they are still scorpions..

if I remember correctly, yes, but they look more like a chocolate habanero or Black Congo and they are chinense...I grew them about 4 years ago and could not tell the difference between the chocolate habs and the bonnets

what was confusing to me was the names Jamaican Hot Red, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate...the red and yellow have the tam shape and are annuums but the chocolate does not have the tam shape and is a chinense...

here is a link to some info about the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - http://thechileman.o...1&submit=Search

Wow, thanks AJ! That's an excellent parallel you drew about the many shapes of the Scorpion.

The substance of a variety, therefore, is its heat level, flavor, aroma, etc. Attachment to form is a distraction. (Such is life!)

what was confusing to me was the names Jamaican Hot Red, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate...the red and yellow have the tam shape and are annuums but the chocolate does not have the tam shape and is a chinense...

here is a link to some info about the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - http://thechileman.o...1&submit=Search

very true....i have 3 jamaican hot yellow that are annuums that have more of the tam,, my JHCs are chinense with the typical hab look...hopefully the ones greg sent me will be chinense JSB and have the flavor and aroma of it.. heres to hoping it has the shape...

d

Back