• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

For those struggling with Flower drop on their plants

Just a quick post to inspire those having all of their flowers dropping --- we finally had a bit of a break in the weather and I got a bunch of flowers finally reach blooming stage on my bhuts (up till now they would dry up and disappear) - Then the weather returned to our normal 100+ degrees and I thought they had all dropped again until this morning while watering the plant saw this :

FirstBhutPods.jpg
So looks like 2 of the 80+ flowers actually developed instead of falling --- so there is still hope !!

For the longest time, my Bhut only had set 3 pods and refused to do more. However, after I picked 2 of them when they ripened, the plant has started producing quite a bit more pods. I think I've counted 15 new babies so far. So if your Bhut only produces those two pods for a while, I suggest picking them. It may very well spur it on to ramp up production.

Same here, trying different things to battle the heat. First time grower and first year with my plants. Also it's very dry where I live and the more I read it seems like Bhuts like the humidity. Anybody else dealing with high heat low humidity?

Opposite problem here. Everything's soaked, and nighttime lows in the 40s.

My flowers don't look healthy, but they haven't dropped yet. Only 5 peppers forming across all my plants so far.

If I had to choose one word to describe my first year it would be: SHADE CLOTH...well thats two,but whatevaaa

These last 30 days as a whole,have beat da crap outta everything with the heat.
What really sucks,if I haven't bought a house by then,I have to stay another year. Well unless I put everything in pots:(
Heat was my hardest hurdle this year, so yes my flowers and I feel your pain!!

Same here, trying different things to battle the heat. First time grower and first year with my plants. Also it's very dry where I live and the more I read it seems like Bhuts like the humidity. Anybody else dealing with high heat low humidity?

That's pretty much what we've got here -- The Bhut has been under the enclosed front entrance out of direct sun for the last couple months which has meant slower growth - but at least it has stayed healthy. Was figuring it was going to be around mid September before any pods formed so even getting these 2 pods has been a surprise. Only good thing is we have plenty of time left before any freeze hits so still plenty of time.

Really hoping I don't have to deal with this when mine start blooming.... It's impossible for me to give them morning sun, so they get the blistering afternoon sun.... Thermometers in the shade on my balcony read in the 90s during this time, and as high as 110s in sun. But I'm sure alot of it is heat given off from the balcony itself as well as the sun instead of all sun.... At 5 pm, I'm sweating more in the 10 minutes I'm on the balcony in the shade than I do any similar amount of time working in the sun....

Next few weeks and my temps will start going down some....

Been doing some research, been getting mixed results, some things say Okinawa is equivalent to the us zone 11, some say 9 and some say 11b.... I've never seen a frost in the 2 winters I've been here, but there have been snow predictions with the long weathe forecasts but it hasn't gotten that cold....

shade cloth Rickie....I plan on going for 30-50%...With the amount of sun you get,I'd go with 30

Have you thought about indoor and outdoor?

Problem with indoor is I have no space for a light setup while making everything inaccessible to my 20 month old son.... And the majority of sunlight that comes inside is through sliding glass doors and the few windows don't have ledges....

There are areas on the balcony that don't get alot of sun, but it makes it a hassle getting out to the balcony and there is very little airflow in that corner.... A shade cloth isn't much of an option....

It isn't much of an issue, the plants still grow fine and the only things that dry out seem to be the starting cups.... There is a breeze but very little on the balcony.... I've went two weeks without watering before and the bigger pots were still good to go.... If they had full sun like the ones at work, I'd have to water twice a day, which I dot feel comfortable with....

Well the looks like Finally the one remaining pod (lost one to wind storm) is starting to turn and the weather is just now finally cooling a bit (getting high 80's low 90's now) and the plant is starting to develop a bunch of flowers again (hopefully this time they will not all drop since the heat is dropping) and might get a good harvest by the end of October before the frost moves in !

Here's a Pic of the one pod that survived in the heat :
First%20Pod%20Turning_zps9c68de1d.jpg

might get a good harvest by the end of October before the frost moves in !
Ugh, I've already had to drag mine in due to the cold. Lucky SoB =]

Congrats on the pod turning, with my late start I brought them in before a single pepper ripened.

Ugh, I've already had to drag mine in due to the cold. Lucky SoB =]

Congrats on the pod turning, with my late start I brought them in before a single pepper ripened.

Lucky to have a long season but not so lucky when it comes to the heat during the summer -- these plants just do not do so well in 95 - 105 degree days and 80+ degree nights for 60 days during the summer and trying to keep them alive is pretty tough -- figure the seeds were germinated in February so it's been about 8 months waiting for the 1 pod :banghead: -- and pretty frustrating to watch hundreds of blooms dry up and fall to the ground - still hoping it'll pay off and we'll get at least one good harvest this year - and then will be trying to keep it alive for a few months to get a headstart on next season ! :pray:

Down here we have a 2 part season, whatever you get before summer, and what you get after summer. Summer heat is hard on peppers this far south.

This is what I'm finding out^^^
Up till June had plenty of flowers, middle of July till now, nothing. Just now I'm starting to see little flower buds starting to sprout. A good solid 2 months of nothing.

Alabamajack knows the 2 part season well, he has dealt with it a lot longer than me. He says the upcoming months for S Texas will be great.

Alabamajack knows the 2 part season well, he has dealt with it a lot longer than me. He says the upcoming months for S Texas will be great.

Let's hope so !! -- Seeing that I started too late for the early season am kind of hoping the ending season will be good :dance: :onfire:
Fortunately it is only a couple months after that the early season starts again and if the plant can survive a couple months inside should get a nice start on next years early season also.

Last year I had plants out all winter. Never got cold here.

My only problem was I started mine in 5 gallon buckets, now they are all rootbound. Been in the buckets too longn

Really glad to hear this. We have been in the high 90's to 100's for the past couple of months. Buds turn black, what flowers form fall off, etc. Next week is supposed to be in the 80's. We'll see.

Back