• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Force Ripen Peppers?

I heard a while back that you can force ripen peppers that are close by putting them inside a papper bag with bananas.
Is this true or should I also buy ocean fromt property in Arizona?

Thanks Guys!

like tomatoes they need to be so mature before this can happen.  Instead of doing that, cut the plant and hang upside down.  Seen a lot of people mentioning this with peppers lately to help hurry ripening before frost

but yes, in a papper sack with apples, tomatoes or bananas will work if they're far along enough

Yes it works. I have peppers and tomatoes hanging in a bowl with bananas right now. 

Browning's method works too. 

yes it does work.  Make sure the chiles are at least showing color for ripening before picking and bagging.  Brown paper bag will work by itself.  Add an apple or banana helps.  Check DAILY!!!!  both for the chiles that are ripening and also to replaced the fruit when it starts to go bad.

Other secret is ...use those VeggieFresh produce bags to keep ripe chiles fresh in the refer for 2-3 weeks until enough chiles are ripe to process. 

I haven't hung plants to ripen the pods, but I have heard that it does work.  I have used brown bags for ripening and Veggie Fresh bags to hold chiles in the reefer. 

I only bag the ones from plants I'm going to overwinter. Otherwise, I cut the main stalk and hang the plant upside down. They have a better shot of ripening before turning mushy this way. I just broke down this year's garden today for the winter, and I've got 16 paper bags full right now. If they ripen before they soften, they're good to use ASAP.

Back