• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Found this @ Central mkt

I was wondering if this is old news? I have not been to central market in awhile and happened upon these. I was surprized
to see "Butch T" on the label. It is distributed by World Variety Produce, Inc Los Angeles, CA

Just curious.

July102012014.jpg

I've seen the dried Ghost Peppers at certain HEBs in a similar bags for about $5-6.

Capsi, you should have bought them all and sold them to members from this forum.

Here ya go folks: http://www.melissas....1f-32e574458cd1

I boiled them in with some habs to make some sauce...tasted great. Still tastes great as I still have some.

To be honest, I have never really liked the taste of almost all of the super hots.

I like to use them for the heat but in dishes that cover up the actual flavor.

One example, I used some of AJ's T-Scorp puree (hottest thing I've ever eaten) in some queso con chorizo.

It was incredible, but covered up the flavor of the chile well.

I agree I think that is the key! The super hots have the heat but most of the time taste like you licked the bottom of a rusty bucket of mud, merging that scoville heat level with something with flavor just makes good sense...

Those dried Butch T's look nasty! But still a cool find. I have not had the same experience with the superhots. They taste pretty good to me. I haven't had too many different kinds but the ones I have had were delicious.

let's see.... 1/4 ounce for 7 bucks ($28 an ounce)....that's high as a cat's back IMO...just sayin'...I suppose for people that don't have access to fresh/dehydrated pods it is a good deal, but for those on this forum, I think you can find a lot better deal here....and from my experience, the taste of the dehydrated pods isn't very good even after rehydrating...these will be good for just adding heat to the meal...

for TS pods....the fresh pods usually weigh between 5 and 7 grams each...

@Sawdust - as far as the taste goes...I find the Trinidad varieties have a much better taste than the Indian varieties (especially fresh) and never have experienced the "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]bottom of a rusty bucket of mud"[/background]

I purchased these simply out of my own amusement and to post it here. I agree with using my own fresh or making puree's with AJ's recipe is the way to go. I suspect that it is most likely that they do not know who Butch is.

Later Mike

cool Mike....I understand...you never know what CM is going to have....they had a caribbean red shaped peppers in there several years ago labelled as Naga Jolokia....that's when I met the produce manager and struck up a friendship with him and he know's a lot more about peppers now than he did back then...

OK, now my aspiration is to come up with a super hot strain and have the variety name be followed by "Chris P" on the bottom!!! Too cool. :)

Back