• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

CaneDog said:
You'll definitely be producing some pods!  And they're going to love growing into that new space.
Haha, yeah, seriously. I think it's going to be a constant pruning act to keep eight of them happy together on one level. Should be fun.

Quick update on the seedlings.

seedlings-that-mostly-need-bags.jpg

Big Alma is still out in front, but the choco habs are doing really well, and one in particular has almost caught up. Two of the 21500's are growing strangely, but one is doing very well, just a bit slow; the lemon drops continue to sort of droop, regardless of what I do, so I think they're probably just moody teenagers. Ghost and UFO in the bottom corners are doing pretty well, though it'll be a while before they can even think about sitting at the big kids' table.

The fish and tongue seeds are still enjoying their coffee filters without doing anything, but it's only been about five days now. So they've still got some time before I start getting concerned. :)

internationalfish said:
So... the bags ended up being a little bigger than I thought.

bagged-alma-erste.jpg

What size grow bag is that? Id like to get a little bit smaller size that that as I am going to a very small grow tent.

Also just curious whats you on/off time for those lights?

Robot Mode said:
What size grow bag is that? Id like to get a little bit smaller size that that as I am going to a very small grow tent.

Also just curious whats you on/off time for those lights?

It's 3 gallons. I should be able to get 10 of them in one layer into the tent (80x80x160cm), but it'll be a tight fit... depending on how the grow goes I may switch to 2 gallons next year. Seems like a better size for that tent.

18 hours on, 6 off.

I think you're dead on considering 2g bags in the future, iFish.  I have some and it's a good indoor size when you're growing more than a few plants.  1g can be a little tough to work with and with 3g's the grow can get kinda big. It will be interesting to see how this goes for you though.  Who knows, with your system maybe 3g's will be the perfect fit.

And glad you posted an updated group shot. It's good to keep up with how they're all doing.  That C Hab is coming on with a vengeance!

CaneDog said:
Who knows, with your system maybe 3g's will be the perfect fit.
I seriously doubt it. But hey, fingers crossed. ;)

CaneDog said:
That C Hab is coming on with a vengeance!
Sure is! I'm planning to bag up six of the biggest ones tomorrow afternoon, so I should have a better idea of how tight the fit is going to be.

Regarding Grow Bags.  I used them a couple of seasons,
really liked them. One thing I noticed was that a 3 gallon
bag is really three gallons. A #3 nursery pot is not three
gallons, but less, around 2.7, I think. I had the same reaction
as 'Fish. My #3 pots fit easily into a 3 gallon bag with room
to spare.

Your plants will respond well to their new homes, for sure.
Looking forward to seeing the final configuration...

I tried to get a picture of the undergrowth these plants have going on, but it didn't come out too well. On the right is the alma, which got a topping; on the left, though, is the biggest hab, which didn't. Nothing but the almas did, but everything is nice and bushy; seems like the Blurple Sun is more effective than I was expecting.

hab-alma-prebag-undergrowth.jpg

Starting slow, but the devil's tongue both look to be coming out of their shells. Nothing on the fish yet.

devils-tongue-starting-germination.jpg

Turns out ten of these bags on one level is... not going to work.

top-shelf-five-pack.jpg

The back three aren't all the way at the back wall, so eight should actually be a good fit. I might be able to push it and get nine, but there's no way ten will be happy in there... not the end of the world, but it does complicate the living situation when I have to deal with both seedlings and full bags on the bottom row.

I'm half thinking of just ordering two-gallon bags and transplanting these before they get established.  :confused:

Given your situation, I think that's a good idea. You can
grow a really nice plant in a 2-gallon bag. Maybe you can
farm out plants in big bags to your friends and neighbors!

Once you get everything dialed in, that set-up will be a winner!

PaulG said:
Given your situation, I think that's a good idea. You can
grow a really nice plant in a 2-gallon bag. Maybe you can
farm out plants in big bags to your friends and neighbors!

Once you get everything dialed in, that set-up will be a winner!
+1 to that - I think 2g bags will rock for you!  And maybe those 3g as a step up for your plants going out to your paved area.

internationalfish said:
Ordered 2 gallon bags last night; they should be here when I'm back from Korea, so I'll get the transplanting done before we leave for Thailand. :)

Do you keep an eye open for interesting peppers at the local markets on any of these trips?  Might be some cool stuff depending on where all you get to and how much free time you have for such things.

CaneDog said:
+1 to that - I think 2g bags will rock for you!  And maybe those 3g as a step up for your plants going out to your paved area.
Yeah, I'm thinking of using the bigger ones outside. We'll see how much room I end up having out there and how well they do.

CaneDog said:
Do you keep an eye open for interesting peppers at the local markets on any of these trips?  Might be some cool stuff depending on where all you get to and how much free time you have for such things.
That hadn't occurred to me. Getting peppers back home wouldn't be possible, I'd assume, but maybe seeds.

Heading back from Korea today. I had limited time to check, but based on asking and looking around a grocery store and a couple small markets, they mostly just use a single type of pepper that comes in varying levels of heat.

Hopefully the kids are doing well in my absence. We'll see in a few hours.

CaneDog said:
Hopefully they're all doing well.  It's cool to see the growth spurts when you've been away for a bit, versus not noticing it as much when you see them every day.

Wow, it sure is...

post-korea-bottom-level.jpg

In the back, two mint clones and an Italian basil went NUTS. And I can't believe the lighter ones in the middle are the lemon drops and the darker ones are the freaking 21500's that looked downright stunted when I left. I guess this is what a dousing with fertilizer+calmag and three days alone does.

In front are the seedlings, which were barely pasty cotys when I left. The UFO on the right got a bit leggy -- trying to take off, I assume -- but the ghost on the left is looking great. I was nervous about elevating them when I wouldn't be home to check, which I guess the UFO could've benefited from, but either way they both look good.

Their bagged colleagues upstairs just continued to bush out, so it's not as visible in the photo.

post-korea-bagged-peppers.jpg

There's a bit of yellowing on some of the larger leaves that I'm not too sure about, but overall they look good. The almas are flowering again, so that'll get nipped in the bud.

In sadder news, either high winds or high schoolers tipped over one of my wife's small trees and shattered the pot (the plant doesn't look much the worse for wear). So that'll have to be replaced, but it seems to be the only real issue from our time away.

Hopefully everything survives as well starting next weekend when we'll be gone for six days. Turns out I got the shipping timeframes wrong and the new bags aren't likely to be here until we're back from that, so that's not ideal. Oh well.

CaneDog said:
Wow!  They're really stepping up on the ground floor!

Seriously! I almost wish they hadn't done that, because I don't want them to outpace their containers too much before I get those two-gallon bags, but wow. I guess I'll take it.

The ones up top are so thick with leaves it's a challenge just to find the buds.

Also, no one is looking even vaguely fazed by almost four days without attention, so I'm going to let them go and see how long that heavy watering lasts. It'd be nice if I could let them go all six days we're in Thailand on a single dousing without having to get the auto drip thing set up.

[edit: The germinating devil's tongue are both still not totally out of their seeds, but probably close. Neither fish pepper seed shows any progress, though, so hopefully they're just late bloomers.]

internationalfish said:

post-korea-bagged-peppers.jpg

There's a bit of yellowing on some of the larger leaves that I'm not too sure about, but overall they look good. The almas are flowering again, so that'll get nipped in the bud.
From the above photo, I'd say the old rule of thumb
"green veins, yellow leaves" might apply.  Means nutrient
deficiency, (perhaps N?)
In sadder news, either high winds or high schoolers tipped over one of my wife's small trees and shattered the pot (the plant doesn't look much the worse for wear). So that'll have to be replaced, but it seems to be the only real issue from our time away.

Hopefully everything survives as well starting next weekend when we'll be gone for six days. Turns out I got the shipping timeframes wrong and the new bags aren't likely to be here until we're back from that, so that's not ideal. Oh well.
Glad you escaped any real wind damage, to too bad
here either, a few tree branches here and there.

Happy trails, 'Fish  :cheers: Hope your plants survive
in your absence.

Back