• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Fox Farm Soil Users...

What is the name of their seed starting mix?

Last year I used Ocean Forest soil to start my seeds and had excellent results. Now this is not a seed germinating mix, but rather a premium all purpose soil. Thinking about using the seed starting mix this year just can't think of the name.

Since the Ocean Forest worked so well, I am somewhat reluctant to switch. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?:crazy:

Hum, I used foxfarm ocean forest to start too... I don't believe they actually have a "seed starting" medium other than their light warrior hydro stuff. I could be wrong though. I say just stick with what works.

I think the bag said to mix the warrior with ocean forest for seed starting on the ocean forest bag but I don't see it on their site.

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_soils3.html

I liked the ocean forest stuff in my 4 1/2 in. and smaller pots so I put some plants in #1 pots with that soil.
Won't use it again in bigger than 4 1/2 in. pots.

Plants loved it for a while.

It shrank down real fast-decomposed and became waterlogged at the bottom of the pots where everything that decomposed sank down to.

That stuff is too expensive for growing as many 3 1/2 -20 gal. plants as I grow.
I grow in containers only.

I was impressed at first but the stuff ended up being very dissapointing for grow out.
OK for starting plants.
Other stuff is cheeper and does as good for a longer time period.

Maybe I got a bad batch or whatever but I won't buy it again.

I'll stick with mixing my own at 1/4 the price.
400+ plants are too much to risk on a soil that won't hold up all season.

I bought a bag of light warior last year for starting seeds but was disappointed with it because the perlite in it was so big...if you want a great soil-less seed starting mix, use Hoffmans or Jiffy...I am sold on hoffmans...very clean and very light...

Pro-mix or anything similar works extremely well for me. Personally I don't want much nutrients when starting plants, just a well drained, pH'd, soiless mixture

Pro-mix sells straight peat too. The pro-mix bx is the most common mix used but the PGX is great when stating lots of small cells. They have lots of other types too for specific needs

Pro-Mix BX worked better as a seed starter than anything I have ever used. But I don't doubt what Potawie says about the PGX blend. Just let the seedlings get established before adding any nutes. They are easy to kill when they're little.

bigt said:
Pro-Mix BX worked better as a seed starter than anything I have ever used. But I don't doubt what Potawie says about the PGX blend. Just let the seedlings get established before adding any nutes. They are easy to kill when they're little.

Are you using Pro-Mix for general container usage as well? The reason I ask is that you're only about 25 miles south of me, and I'm wondering where you would be buying it from.

I'm looking to potentially get the 3.8 cf compressed blocks. We're going big this year, and will be germinating 144 starters with the hope of yielding 100 plants. Figuring we'll get them to 5 gallon pots, that would be approx 67 cf of container space we need to fill, or 18 blocks.

Then again, that would be a few yards of material. Maybe we'd be better off buying the core components in bulk...

NoVa Hothead those blocks are very compressed and expand to a much larger size. Both bigt and I use pro-mix and he will be able to tell you where to get it nearby. To fill 100 five gallon nursery containers you would need 8 bales or around 300 bucks. The best mix I have used for growing chiles, I use it from seed mix to mature plants.

bigt said:

Ditto.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
To fill 100 five gallon nursery containers you would need 8 bales or around 300 bucks.

:shocked:How much do you pay per bale? The most I've ever paid is $22 CND but I shop around and buy in bulk. I also mix mine with manure, compost, worm castings, lime, and old pro-mix, but only for mature plants

A 3.8 cu ft. Pro-mix bale sells for around $35 here in the good ol' USA and is money well spent. I also reuse my Pro-Mix with great success so it is just one time, I mix new peat moss 3.8 cu ft. bales in to my old Pro-mix. I also agree with smokemaster about Ocean Forest being great for small containers only.

I found the 3.8 cf blocks of Pro-Mix for $24 apiece online, but with a fixed $150 shipping charge. Might need to see if there are others in the area that want to go in on an order...

Back