• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fox Farm user's sound off..

Mallory said:
I sprout seeds in straight ocean forest, then pot up a couple of times as needed (over the course of 3-4 months) into ocean forest, After 3-4 months, the plants go in the ground. At planting they get FF bone meal, which I have found to be better than espoma because FF is ground into a fine powder and probably breaks down faster. And after a week or 2 in the ground they get one feeding of Jacks professional 20-20-20 at full strength. Normally I do not use chemicals, but this stuff produced amazing results. I will say I used it on transplants that were already about a foot tall, I am sure it could fry smaller plants. 

Mallory, 

I'm thinking of putting my seedlings in this. You have no issue with it being hot at all? I'm solarizing my other dirt at the moment but need to transfer some seedlings around. I don't want to screw up and burn them lol. 

Ocean Forest burned me once with fungus gnats, but I really like Light Warrior for starting seeds. I always use Sunshine #4 or ProMix BX when moving to 3" pots.

Oh hell no, no fungus nats. That's all I need fungus nats and aphid farmer ants and whatever other crazy bugs Florida can throw at me. No thanks. lol 

Do you mix your promix BX or use as is? 

Koreansoul said:
Do you mix your promix BX or use as is? 

Use as-is. I add a couple drops of Super Thrive and Grow Big every week until they go outside permanently, but I don't mix the ProMix with anything.

I should be good on ferts for a month or so. I just potted in to 1 gal pots. With a Foxfarm 50/50 mix of OF and HF. I will kick my plants out side next Friday. Watch my glog to see how it pans out.

How long are you going to keep them outside Kevin? I didn't think you were going to put them outside actually. I just went and picked up big bloom and tiger bloom. I really do like the ferts and was extremely happy with the outcome of my one angry manganese deficient plant. :) 

OK well so far FF soil is great. I have yet to need to use any ferts. I will be using it again next year and trying a few things with it. Mainly mixing it in Feb. and letting it sit and cook longer this time as well as adding MyCoz to it.

Okay, Folks going to try an experiment. Basically i want to make a super soil of sorts based on what I know the pepper plants like based on what I have read here. If I dont have something on this list please let me know.

OF/HF 50/50 to equal 2 cuft
I will add
5 pounds worm poo
1 cup bat poo
1 cup bone meal
1 cup oyster shell
2 things of mykos
Perlite is a give in.

HurtsGood said:
Happy frog user here. Good stuff only problem soil kind turns into a brick after couple months and become hydroponic. Seams soils with lot of peat moss do that.

Been wanting to try ff big bloom after reading it`s organic any truth?

Afirm, it is! It is straight guano and earthworm castings.

Are you asking about Happy Frog or Ocean Forest?

For both the main is peat moss and worm castings. The difference is the nutrients added.

chachie09 said:
Afirm, it is! It is straight guano and earthworm castings.

my first and only bag that i will ever buy of happyfrog soil had about 3lbs of dime size pebbles in it. crap company using fillers like that. their nutrients are fine. and the FFOF is like 20 bucks around here

It happens from time to time in soil.

pshngo said:
my first and only bag that i will ever buy of happyfrog soil had about 3lbs of dime size pebbles in it. crap company using fillers like that. their nutrients are fine. and the FFOF is like 20 bucks around here

Koreansoul said:

Mallory, 

I'm thinking of putting my seedlings in this. You have no issue with it being hot at all? I'm solarizing my other dirt at the moment but need to transfer some seedlings around. I don't want to screw up and burn them lol. 

I have never had an issue with burning unless the seeds were started in a traditional seed-starter mix and then transplanted into fox farm. I think it is too much of a shock for them to go from a seed starter with no nutrients, to something like fox farm. But if you start the seeds in fox farm they are acclimated to it from day one and won't burn (in my experience).  

KevinH said:
It happens from time to time in soil.

FOXFARM  is supposed to meticulously inspect there soil before it is bagged and they keep samples of every batch they make. there is no way that there should have been pebbles in the bag. it wasn't just plain ol' pebbles it was the shiny river rockones you would buy for an aquarium. these were purposely put in for filler

KevinH said:
Okay, Folks going to try an experiment. Basically i want to make a super soil of sorts based on what I know the pepper plants like based on what I have read here. If I dont have something on this list please let me know.

OF/HF 50/50 to equal 2 cuft
I will add
5 pounds worm poo
1 cup bat poo
1 cup bone meal
1 cup oyster shell
2 things of mykos
Perlite is a give in.
Better let that cycle for quite a while before planting.

Dude. Relax. It happens get over it. This thread will NOT turn in to a trash talk thread over a hand full or 2 of rocks.

pshngo said:
FOXFARM  is supposed to meticulously inspect there soil before it is bagged and they keep samples of every batch they make. there is no way that there should have been pebbles in the bag. it wasn't just plain ol' pebbles it was the shiny river rockones you would buy for an aquarium. these were purposely put in for filler

Back