• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Frank's Red Hot

Normally, the only time I eat Frank's Red Hot on anything is on fried eggs (or 'dippy eggs' as they are known in Pennsylvania). I just finished making my kids and myself a nice batch and of course loaded mine up with a good coating of Frank's. For the first time ever, I couldn't even taste the heat from it. Although I'm not overly upset to lose a commercial sauce like Frank's, I'm bummed that my tolerance has grown that much over the years to not even enjoy it. :mope:

Anyone else have this same experience?

I still use the stuff because I enjoy the taste. Although I spice it up with some hotter sauces. Franks has no heat whatsoever to me anymore.

Naaaah, don't like Frank's enough to step it up. However, I did dump a pile of my pepper flakes on top of it to 'kick it up a notch.' It was just kind of funny that Frank's had absolutely nothing.

Traditional wing sauces like Frank's are cayenne based and can only get so hot without adding hotter peppers or extracts. I find most cayenne sauces boring, although Defcon's sauces work well with added habaneros and "quality" extract

Redtail, I know what you mean! I can't taste any heat in Frank's. I like it, but it's more like a ketchup or mustard than anything else. I can't taste the heat in Cholula's anymore, either. I love that sauce, but it's not hot to me anymore. A 12 ounce bottle of Cholula's and in three days, I've gone through half that bottle. Our local Chinese restaurant has their own take on "chips-n-salsa". Being Arizona, every Mexican restaurant has complimentary tortilla chips and salsa. So, the Chinese restaurant has their own take which are fried wontons and sweet-and-sour sauce. Well, the waitress there now knows to skip that sauce and just bring us a big bowl of Chiu Chow Chile Oil which are dried Chile de Arbol and Santakas macerated in soybean oil. It's pretty awesome stuff. Easy to make at home, too.

To taste heat, I need a Habanero sauce. I have some pickled Jalapenos I pickled last Summer and a few of them have a bit of a bite to them. But I have noticed I don't detect heat in any of the supermarket sauces. None of their salsas are hot, either. I did find at my local natural foods store a roasted Habanero salsa made by some local outfit and it is plenty hot. And is it tasty!!!!!

Huy Fong's, though, can be trusted to deliver the goods. Their Garlic Chili Sauce, Sambal Olek, and Sriracha Sauce have a nice heat to them.

It's a sad day when you realize that "standard issue" non-extract sauces just aren't going to feel hot anymore. I was out at a Mexican restaurant this week with friends, and before I even realized it, I had used half a bottle of the restaurant's "Habanero" hot sauce. Oh well, I guess it just means we have to make our own... :hell:

even back in the day when i wasent a chilie head iused to use 1/4 cup of the stuff on a peice of pizza i prefer something with flavor. my favorite sauce is drooling devil garlic which barely regesters on the heat scale but is hotter than franks and tastes freaking AMAZING!

Chile de Arbol powder can also make a good hummus, I can tell you! The Chiu Chow Chili Oil you can stir into just about anything and it's gonna be great!

Heck! - I thought I was a chilehead until I found you guys on this website. Now I realize I'm just an amateur! I like Frank's Extra Red Hot, on wings or chicken strips. I think with Franks it's more about the depth of flavor and balance of acidity. Anything that's so hot that it kills the ability to detect subtle flavors is just too hot for me and belongs in the competition category. I guess I'll have to work harder at building up my tolerance! :)

[great website by the way].

Rooze

Back