Freak chile

Have you come across a freak chile? Could be heat, shape, colour whatever is out of character and do you find it worthwile to try and isolate it by keeping seeds?

The reason why I'm asking is becasue I found a supermarket brought Jalapeno that burned the crap out of me. I was deseeding it (as I've done to countless chiles bare handed including some very hot ones. Not super hots) and a VERY painful burn set in. It lasted for more than 3 hours and was enough to make wash my hands with cold milk. I ate half and it was a very fast and intense burn on the tounge, lips and sides of my mouth. The burn lasted 10 minutes and the warmth about 20. The next day my hands were still sensitive to heat sources. Never experienced this kind of burn before! And it's from a Jalapeno?!?!?!?!:crazy: Well I kept four seeds and I'm gonna grow them and see what happens. What could concentrate capsaicin that much in a Jap?

Freaky!

Jalapenos surprise me with heat sometimes as well. I don't think that hot though.

Deathtosnails said:
Have you come across a freak chile? Could be heat, shape, colour whatever is out of character and do you find it worthwile to try and isolate it by keeping seeds?

The reason why I'm asking is becasue I found a supermarket brought Jalapeno that burned the crap out of me.

I think you have posted the thread that I wanted to post the day before.

I had saved a couple of Jalepenos from my last buy and put them in salt water as is my habit. I tend to pop a slice or two during the day to keep my spirits up.
But day before yesterday, I popped in a jal slice (almost 1/2 ) which I usually do. It beat the crap out of me. I stopped breathing for a while and my ears smoked and eyes watered. It was such a freaky thing that if I tell someone here, I thought no one will believe me.The damn thing was super hot:mouthonfire:

The bloody thing literally kicked me in my mouth. I drank a glass of cold milk and yet the relief was slow in coming.
At last after 20 to 30 minutes, I started coming to my senses.

Yes, there are real freaky peppers. I came across one. (other half of it is still in the bottle)

NJA

If a jalapeno was grown amongst superhots, then the seeds from those jalapeno pods saved and planted the next year could cross pollination cause the new pods to be extra hot like the superhots?

JayT said:
If a jalapeno was grown amongst superhots, then the seeds from those jalapeno pods saved and planted the next year could cross pollination cause the new pods to be extra hot like the superhots?

Somewhere I had read that if you want to choose hot peppers (esp. Jals), look for white streak like stress marks .These are real mean members. Last time I chose accordingly . They all were hot as usual but the one I wrote above was super hot for a Jalepeno.

If I am not mistaken the pods you get this year will not be affected by growing next to the Douglah. It will be the offspring that may pick up new traits.

JayT said:
If I am not mistaken the pods you get this year will not be affected by growing next to the Douglah. It will be the offspring that may pick up new traits.

That is correct...

"Naga Jolokia Addict" said:
Somewhere I had read that if you want to choose hot peppers (esp. Jals), look for white streak like stress marks .These are real mean members. Last time I chose accordingly . They all were hot as usual but the one I wrote above was super hot for a Jalepeno.

I'll say! I munched down one of them white-streaky ones a few weeks back...

I no longer laugh as hard at the jalapeno.

Supermarket jalapenos are often hybrids so there's a good chance the seeds won't turn out at all the same as the donor pod

POTAWIE said:
Supermarket jalapenos are often hybrids so there's a good chance the seeds won't turn out at all the same as the donor pod

POTAWIE,

May be you are correct in your assumption. Coming to think of it, your arguement holds water.
So we myst be prepared for anything when we buy from Super Markets.

NJA

JayT said:

I always laugh at local gardeners around here who insist that their banana peppers turned out hot because they grew them next to Jalapeños. :lol: I always try to explain that isn't how it works, but they never seem to believe me. :rolleyes:

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
look for white streak like stress marks

that is called corking...a lot of the Billy Bikers I grew this year were extremely corked when I picked them and looked great when red with the corking...were pretty hot too...

some of my serranos corked also

Corking isn't likely any indication of heat since I've had it occur in heat-less jalapenos but I really do love them corked

I found no difference in heat in my corked vs non-corked jalapenos last season. Small sampling only two plants, but nonetheless they were all about the same heat level.

ill tell you how to make some hot jalepeno's. put one of your plants next to your dryer vent outside to stress it.lol

actually thats what happened to me last year. i had 6 jalepeno plants. one of them was planted under the dryer vent next to my house(i didnt really think about it to be honest) and that plant seemed to have dwarfed. anyway every single pepper i picked off that plant was hotter than oange habs. tasted like pure capaicin. very hot!

the plant produced very small peppers too. most were 1.5 inches long, plenty of corking too.

so my suggestion is if you want a really hot pod, stress the plant just enough so it doesnt die, but yet makes it not grow as well.(seems illogical i know but try it for yourself) and yes i saved the seeds from that plant too.

Gringos do not really like picante stuff in general and supermarkets purchase bland hybrids with this in mind.

I had xalapas in Puebla that would lock your ankles up....same with serranos. Where people are accustomed to picante chiles, there are picante xalapas

Back