• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Freak fruit that's a different colour

I've been growing a plant for a while that was a gift - one of those all-in-one kits in a little can. It claims to be ghost chillis, but I really don't believe it.
Anyway, it generally produces fruit that ripen from green to purple, but just recently it has produced one random fruit that is a bright orange - see photo attached. (There are actually two varieties in this photo, but the orange one clearly stands out!).

Does anybody know why it would produce a randomly different coloured fruit? Does this mean anything, or just one of those things?

Thanks!

Attachments

• chilli.jpg
    chilli.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 143
Solution
Not much to add other than that I agree with BF's assessment.  While it's hard to ever say 100%, it's by far the most likely explanation.  The plant is almost certainly an annuum.  I suspect the pods will all mature to a final color, most likely the yellow color of the smaller pods.  It's not uncommon for plants to throw one or a few small early pods - often without seeds - before producing typical pods.  
That is interesting. Are you certain that purple is the final, ripe color of those pods? I see a lot of green still on some of them. I ask because I have grown varieties that ripened from green to purple to orange to red. Otherwise it seems pretty strange to me that one of the pods would ripen to a completely different color than the rest. If in doubt, you could leave one or more of the pods on the plant until they go soft (overripe) to know for sure what the final, ripe color should be.

I doubt that the plant is a Ghost pepper, or even a chinense. The pods don't look like Bhut Jolokia, and also chinenses typically have a constricted calyx. The calyx on those look bigger to me, more like an annuum variety. Pictures of the plant and flowers could help confirm the species.

Thanks for the reply! It definitely went straight from green to this orange, with no purple in between. I cut it open today, and there were no seeds within at all, so I wonder if it's an anomaly to do with it being a sterile fruit?

boakham said:
I've been growing a plant for a while that was a gift - one of those all-in-one kits in a little can. It claims to be ghost chillis, but I really don't believe it.
Anyway, it generally produces fruit that ripen from green to purple, but just recently it has produced one random fruit that is a bright orange - see photo attached. (There are actually two varieties in this photo, but the orange one clearly stands out!).

Does anybody know why it would produce a randomly different coloured fruit? Does this mean anything, or just one of those things?

Thanks!

Lets see..... An online seed bought from an unknown source stuck in a can that produces unusual fruit that's suppose to be ghost chilli .

Is there a question in that observation?

Not much to add other than that I agree with BF's assessment.  While it's hard to ever say 100%, it's by far the most likely explanation.  The plant is almost certainly an annuum.  I suspect the pods will all mature to a final color, most likely the yellow color of the smaller pods.  It's not uncommon for plants to throw one or a few small early pods - often without seeds - before producing typical pods.  

Solution
hi

CaneDog said:
Nice answer basically it's this probably
It happen to me sometimes when the plant it's not stable, and they have pods with seeds, relax and watch what happens :D

The "ripening" to purple is more likely a response to light. A "suntan" of sorts that some peppers do supposedly as protection against UV light (although I've had peppers grown indoors have the same response as well, without UV). Some pepper varieties have it show up more often than others. I'm not sure what the official term for it is, but I've seen "suntan" used a lot.

That small pepper most likely just didn't get enough light to produce that purpling, and likely, the final ripened color is that golden yellow color

Last edited:
Back