• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Freakish MOA Scotch Bonnet pod test

Here's a review of one of my MOAs. Other pods on the same plant look more correct. Some tiny pods are starting to take on the traditional MOA shape now, but others are kind of crazy looking like this one. The flavor is good, tastes like MOA I grew last year.

https://youtu.be/-ao1n6kz0zY

Noah Yates said:
Those look like yellow scorpions!

I was going to say the exact thing - looks like a Yellow Scorpion CARDI!  ;)  Very interesting occurrence, Peter! It will be fun to see how (or if) the pods change as others come in and ripen up! Thanks for the review! 

Alchymystic said:

I was going to say the exact thing - looks like a Yellow Scorpion CARDI!  ;)  Very interesting occurrence, Peter! It will be fun to see how (or if) the pods change as others come in and ripen up! Thanks for the review! 
I noticed that too, but have been torn on whether to consider it crossed, or if possibly the wrong the batch of seed got mixed in. It's hard to find any history of CARDI strains, and their website is terrible. The seed source is CARDI. And some of my MOAs from last year (from pepperlover seed) were smaller, but had similar appearance in the tail/stinger and shape. Taste was about the same, but these I'm growing now do seem a tad hotter. On the other hand, the CARDI Yellow Scorpion on pepperlover's site looks just like this, and the flavor and heat she describes is consistent with this pod. As far as seed mismatch, I know CARDI isn't selling a yellow scorpion, and I can't find any source or evidence that they ever had. Not saying they haven't, I just can't find the origin. The Scorpions they are selling now looking nothing like this, and are red. There's a pic of the packaging on juanitos site. http://juanitospeppers.com/product/scorpion-seed.%C2 it possible the 'Yellow CARDI Scorpion' was just an abnormal scotch bonnet, or accidental SB cross that was bred out/stabilized for those traits, and then just called a CARDI Yellow Scorpion? I'm not arguing it either way, just throwing it out there.

I have only grown the generic "yellow scorpions"... but I have seen pictures of yellow cardi scorpions that look exactly the same.  The yellow scorpion happens to be one of my favorites.  Unfortunately this year I had poor germination for some reason, but it has consistently been the earliest ripening chinense when I have grown it. 

Noah Yates said:
I have only grown the generic "yellow scorpions"... but I have seen pictures of yellow cardi scorpions that look exactly the same.  The yellow scorpion happens to be one of my favorites.  Unfortunately this year I had poor germination for some reason, but it has consistently been the earliest ripening chinense when I have grown it. 
Whichever kind it is that I'm growing, I'm a fan :) They are good. I'll post updates here as I get more pods. The shapes are all over the place, some are like the one in the review (Well two, and one more kind of in between), and some more bonnet shaped. Some have bumps, some smooth, some elongated and bumpy without tails. I'm really conflicted on validation for it. I'll save seed because it is good regardless. If I don't get any true MOA Bonnet shapes, I'll make note on the video that it's probably something else.

They are suppose to look like this below

and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcnCt5AnT8

Attachments

• moa.jpg
    moa.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 64
Last year I grew the yellow moa & I had some that looked just like them .
They lasted just as good as those that had the correct pheno type.

Peter S said:
...possible the 'Yellow CARDI Scorpion' was just an abnormal scotch bonnet, or accidental SB cross that was bred out/stabilized for those traits, and then just called a CARDI Yellow Scorpion? 

I think your correct... that the Yellow Scorpion itself is a cross between the traditional Red Scorpion and a Bonnet somewhere down the line. The specific Yellow 'CARDI' strain then just being one Yellow Scorpion they particularly worked on and further developed. I found these 2 quotes in some old posts in the forums that posit the same theory-

From RobStar - "It is most likely a scotch bonnet or congo bred with a trini scorpion and is the product of the Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute."

From ButchT - "When I received the "then unknown" Trinidad Scorpion seeds 7 (or is it 8?) years ago, the only color was red. The real Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (not the one shaped like a habanero) has the bumps and a very similar shape, just no stinger, a little like a flattened 7 Pot. The Scotch Bonnet (not the hab) has a very sweet fruity flavor, the yellow Trinidad Scorpion may be a cross between the two.

That pic you just posted definitely has the bonnet shape - very nice!  :D

Alchymystic said:

I think your correct... that the Yellow Scorpion itself is a cross between the traditional Red Scorpion and a Bonnet somewhere down the line. The specific Yellow 'CARDI' strain then just being one Yellow Scorpion they particularly worked on and further developed. I found these 2 quotes in some old posts in the forums that posit the same theory-

From RobStar - "It is most likely a scotch bonnet or congo bred with a trini scorpion and is the product of the Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute."

From ButchT - "When I received the "then unknown" Trinidad Scorpion seeds 7 (or is it 8?) years ago, the only color was red. The real Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (not the one shaped like a habanero) has the bumps and a very similar shape, just no stinger, a little like a flattened 7 Pot. The Scotch Bonnet (not the hab) has a very sweet fruity flavor, the yellow Trinidad Scorpion may be a cross between the two.

That pic you just posted definitely has the bonnet shape - very nice!  :D
Thanks for sharing that! I'll post updates on how that plant does throughout the season.

Back