• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Freeze vs frost?

There is a freeze warning tonight, but low chance of frost. Do I still need to move my plants inside? Will a unheated shed be better than just leaving my pepper plants outside?

Yea, I wouldn't leave them outside, unless you want to take your chances and leave them outside, but as the guy above said, take em in!

It's been as low as 28 here this year and my peppers are still growing. Not fast, but I probably have close to two pounds of fruit I can harvest from about six plants. The basil, tomatoes, peanuts and even the horseradish are done for, but the broccoli is still green.

Mike

It only got down to 38 last night, so I guess my plants will live for now. I have 5 jalapeno plants in 5 gallon buckets and I really don't have room or a southern facing window inside for them. I was hoping that if I could put them in the shed, that would keep the frost off them and they could survive an hour or two of freezing temperatures.

It got down to about 33 here. Moved some of the prize plants in that I want to keep, but no way I could move all 120. Looks like they made it through alright though. Warming up the next week or so, so hopefully can get the ones on there now to ripen.

jacob

It only got down to 38 last night, so I guess my plants will live for now. I have 5 jalapeno plants in 5 gallon buckets and I really don't have room or a southern facing window inside for them. I was hoping that if I could put them in the shed, that would keep the frost off them and they could survive an hour or two of freezing temperatures.

I'm bringing my plants in when it gets below 50F; I'm not worried about the amount of light because I'll just take them out on sunny days. Another optiopn is to just cover them on cold nights, it probably won't get cold enough long enough to totally kill them.

Had some freezes, frosts and consecutive nights below freezing here and every single one of my plants died so I ripped them all out of the ground and cut off what green viable pods there were. Many were messed up, brown and shriveling from the freeze/frost. Don't take chances if you got something you wanna keep alive. Mine I didn't really care cause there wasn't much on them really.

The basil, tomatoes, peanuts and even the horseradish are done for

Just the leaves of the horseradish are toast to root is still good, I have been washing mine for 2 days and hope to post pics as I make my sauce. just 1 small bag left to clean. they call for snow tomorrow.

Go and take the temperature inside the shed. You don't have to do it at night, unless you like a nice brisk walk :eek: !
Compare it to the outside temp where the plants normally are and you will get an idea of how insulating the shed is.

I remember hearing if you are stuck in a car in the snow for the night, a single candle will provide enough warmth inside the sealed area to prevent you from freezing to death. Just apply that principle to your chilies :).

Oh and don't come back and blame me if you burn down your shed etc.:flamethrower:

edit: Seriously dude don't put naked flames where you probably keep stuff like paint thinner and motor oil. If you burn down your shed and kill your plants I will feel really bad.... for like a whole day.:rofl:

Go and take the temperature inside the shed. You don't have to do it at night, unless you like a nice brisk walk :eek: !
Compare it to the outside temp where the plants normally are and you will get an idea of how insulating the shed is.

I remember hearing if you are stuck in a car in the snow for the night, a single candle will provide enough warmth inside the sealed area to prevent you from freezing to death. Just apply that principle to your chilies :).

Oh and don't come back and blame me if you burn down your shed etc.:flamethrower:

edit: Seriously dude don't put naked flames where you probably keep stuff like paint thinner and motor oil. If you burn down your shed and kill your plants I will feel really bad.... for like a whole day.:rofl:

A candle would probably work, but just a regular old light bulb (not a compact fluoresent) will keep a small space like a shed a few degrees warmer. Much safer than an open flame too.

Bring em in if you can.I`ve been using a stupid-ugly- don`t let my wife see this lol light.Try a light bulb for every 6 or so feet.Good luck

Well it got down to 34 last night. I think there was some frost on the grass and my windshied was frozen. It is going to warm back up this week, so if my peppers survived, I will move them the next time it gets cold.

Back