• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Freezing question?

Quick question, I froze some pods a month or two ago, I realize now I need the seeds out of them because a couple of tomato worms decimated it overnight. Can I still get viable seeds out of my frozen pods?

It seems to have a lot of bearing on several factors.. the major ones however being...

The variety and strain

Were the seeds dry or wet when frozen

From my understanding and research the pods that are frozen fresh will have less chance of the seeds being fertile vs dry pods or dried seeds that have been removed being frozen. On top of that it seems more garden varieties like jalapenos , bulls horns etc ( Low heat large peppers ) will have a higher fertility rate over seeds like Reapers or Ghosts etc.

All that being said I have grown both from frozen fresh pods but did experience about a 75% reduction in germination .

Regardless, if you have multiple pods then you should have plenty of seeds.  I would just plant 50+ so you will be pretty sure you beat the odds.

You got to realize that peppers grow all over the world.  Some are tropical, some are desert, some are frozen and have adapted to dropping seeds to survive.  It depends on the variety of pepper.....not just peppers in general.

Back