• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense fresh "bhut" in central market

Went to central market. Saw some so-called fresh bhut from belgium.

4b6277de.jpg

Short stubby bhuts. Must be hybrids.
47d537bb.jpg

They were 5 bux. Didnt bother buying them. Got lots of real ones growing ;)

my impression is that ghost chiles from the Netherlands are Naga Morich. Is this correct? Maybe the Belgians are trying to move into that market. The Dutch have other cash crops they can grow in their massive indoor facilities.

my impression is that ghost chiles from the Netherlands are Naga Morich. Is this correct? Maybe the Belgians are trying to move into that market. The Dutch have other cash crops they can grow in their massive indoor facilities.

I always understood the Naga Morich originated from India just like the Bhut. Either way, those definitely aren't Bhuts or Naga Morich. Way too smooth. Look more like a red habanero than anything else.

I always understood the Naga Morich originated from India just like the Bhut. Either way, those definitely aren't Bhuts or Naga Morich. Way too smooth. Look more like a red habanero than anything else.

Hmm. I may need some help IDing a couple of plants I started from supermarket "ghost chiles" from Holland. They were maybe a bit darker red and more ripple-y than the Belgian ones in the OP's pic, but they were also wide-shouldered like these. After reading some posts here, I decided that they were probably Naga Morich, which are favored by Dutch growers because of their greater productivity than Bhut Jolokia.

Back