• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Fresh seeds can sprout?

To weigh in on this, as well, yes they can! I took some Anaheims that I got @ Wal-Mart, de-seeded them, and plopped 2 fresh seeds right into the Jiffy Pellets. They sprouted wonderfully, and now they're about 2 feet tall and loaded with nice pods!

I bought some Brain Strains from Baker's and planted the seeds in my mini-greenhouse back in July. Over 60% had sprouted in three days! 90+% total germ rate. So yes, it would seem fresh seeds not only germinate, but do so much more quickly than dried seeds.

Depends on the seeds --- most will sprout just fine but there are certain species that need to reach below a certain temp or be passed through a digestive process to weaken the seed coat before they will germinate and still others will only germinate after extremely high temps ( such as a forest fire which cracks their seed coat) -- but for most types of peppers they will sprout just fine without any special preparation.

Depends on the seeds --- most will sprout just fine but there are certain species that need to reach below a certain temp or be passed through a digestive process to weaken the seed coat before they will germinate and still others will only germinate after extremely high temps ( such as a forest fire which cracks their seed coat) -- but for most types of peppers they will sprout just fine without any special preparation.

I think we are talking pepper only here....if there are exceptions, please tell me....

I think we are talking pepper only here....if there are exceptions, please tell me....

Well the OP asked for seeds in general and did not specify so wanted to let him know that there are exceptions to all seeds being able to germinate without some preparation -- Granted this is a Pepper growing forum but not every question raised is "assumed" to be specifically about peppers !

I'm not certain but I do believe that there are certain wild pepper species that have thick enough seed coats that they do require some sort of scarification before the seed will absorb any water to begin the germination process.

Back