• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Fresh vs Powder

First off I would like to thank THP and it's members for introducing me to the vast array of peppers out there. Before I found this site, I only knew about supermarket varieties, and of course what makes the news which is usually the current hottest variety.

I had my first Brazilian Starfish the other day and it was great. I loved the sweet flavor and then the rush of mild heat that followed. This brings me to my question.

If I made a powder from these, will it mimic a fresh pod in that it would be sweet, then heat?

I mixed my last ripe Brazillian Starfish and Allepo peppers in the dehydrator at the end of last year and it was perhaps my most favorite powder ever.  Generally you'll get similar notes dried versus fresh but you really have to try/taste them for yourself.  Play around with smoke roasting the peppers before drying too - a whole other world! :)

It should be about the same. Peppers will lose some flavor when drying, but the sugar and capsaicin profiles shouldn't change a whole lot if you dry them properly (about 100F or less).
     I dry lots of different varieties. Some of the sweeter, milder ones like serrano and bishop's crown make awesome flakes!

SmokenFire said:
I mixed my last ripe Brazillian Starfish and Allepo peppers in the dehydrator at the end of last year and it was perhaps my most favorite powder ever.  Generally you'll get similar notes dried versus fresh but you really have to try/taste them for yourself.  Play around with smoke roasting the peppers before drying too - a whole other world! :)

I agree. Some of the milder Middle Eastern annuum varieties (Aleppo, malih-helow, tekne dolmasi, etc...) make fantastic tasting flakes.
georgej said:
Cant see brazillian starfish being worth powdering

Why?

Thanks everyone. For some reason my pea sized brain didn't think the sweetness would still be there after it dried out.

So is it safe to assume most powders made from a pepper will retain most of the flavor characteristics of the fresh pod it was made from?

Many will. Some completely change. Try some Hungarian wax peppers. Fresh they are kinda tart, dried they loose that and become almost cheese like. It really depends on the traits the pepper has. You have to consider what the flavors are "bonded" to, and how they change as they "cook". Some have flavors that literally evaporate because they are volatile on their own. And others will leave with the water. Things like sugars, oils, fibers aren't going anywhere. So any flavors they hold will actually get stronger as you dry the pepper.

georgej said:
cause they are so damn good fresh, its a waste to turn them into what is essentially paprika powder IMO.
You can buy paprika powder, you cant go to the store and buy brazilian starfish

Very good point. lol Some varieties seem to have a difficult time making it to the freezer or dehydrator! 

DaQatz said:
Many will. Some completely change. Try some Hungarian wax peppers. Fresh they are kinda tart, dried they loose that and become almost cheese like. It really depends on the traits the pepper has. You have to consider what the flavors are "bonded" to, and how they change as they "cook". Some have flavors that literally evaporate because they are volatile on their own. And others will leave with the water. Things like sugars, oils, fibers aren't going anywhere. So any flavors they hold will actually get stronger as you dry the pepper.

Very well put. ^ 

I think Douglahs and chocolate bhuts are disgusting fresh. Dry them out and they become tolerable. A lot of the volatile, floral perfumy aromas and flavors that I don't like about some varieties are reduced significantly by drying.
     And some really fruity varieties like Caribbean reds and wild Brazils take on a whole new level of fruitiness when they dry. It can almost make some pods seem sweeter. Dried wild Brazil pods taste like hot Fruity Pebbles! 

Back