• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Friend or foe?

Saw this guy crawling around. Never seen one of these before... Is he good to have around?
64d5ec17c748616243684c72215f0a19.jpg

I've never seen them in larval form! Man... THEY'RE UGLY! LOL

That's great news... I'm guessing that eggs are laid in clusters, so one visible larva means that there should be many more I haven't seen yet!

chico24 said:
I've never seen them in larval form! Man... THEY'RE UGLY! LOL

That's great news... I'm guessing that eggs are laid in clusters, so one visible larva means that there should be many more I haven't seen yet!
I actually think they're quite cool looking, at this stage especially they eat loads of aphids. If you scout around your garden, you'll more than likely find their HQ, a plant or shrub that should be crawling with ladybirds. Definitely very beneficial little chums to have. They're fascinating insects.

Question on these.  I know nowadays Asian beetles are far more prevalent in my region than ladybugs are.  Are they any different from a food intake standpoint than ladybugs?  Do they still feed on aphids and other undesirables? 

Back