• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Friend or foe?

Ran across this little fella and wondered what he was doing on my plants, or what he is. I knew what the second one does - he was none too impressed with me when I shook the branch to pollinate it before I realized he was there.

Attachments

• 20200814_084229.jpg
    20200814_084229.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200814_084238.jpg
    20200814_084238.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 86
Both friends.  Although, with #2, I'd make sure that it's not trying to colonize your plant.  They are notorious for making their nests on the undersides of things that you frequently inhabit the vicinity of.  (especially lawnchairs)  While they're great at demolishing pests - like caterpillars - they also can be quite territorial, and attack without provocation.

solid7 said:
Both friends.  Although, with #2, I'd make sure that it's not trying to colonize your plant.  They are notorious for making their nests on the undersides of things that you frequently inhabit the vicinity of.  (especially lawnchairs)  While they're great at demolishing pests - like caterpillars - they also can be quite territorial, and attack without provocation.

^^^^ This!  Dealt with that a couple of years ago.

solid7 said:

That's a relief.  I had no idea what the green guy was, but the wasps I haven't been able to get rid of over the last thirty years.  I gave up when I realized they were pollinating and protecting my plants.  There's actually a unused balcony directly above the plants that they've been putting nests in for years.  I'm not allergic, so it's "I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone."  I came upon a wasp sitting on the topmost leaf of the tallest plant one day munching on something fuzzy.  Took me awhile, but I realized it was the head of a gypsy moth worm!

theboogeyman said:

That's a relief.  I had no idea what the green guy was, but the wasps I haven't been able to get rid of over the last thirty years.  I gave up when I realized they were pollinating and protecting my plants.  There's actually a unused balcony directly above the plants that they've been putting nests in for years.  I'm not allergic, so it's "I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone."  I came upon a wasp sitting on the topmost leaf of the tallest plant one day munching on something fuzzy.  Took me awhile, but I realized it was the head of a gypsy moth worm!

Green guy is a pale green assassin bug nymph, I'd say.

I can't really get a scale on that green guy, but I actually thought it was more like a type of walking stick nymph. Not really sure, but between assassin bug and walking stick, I am 100% certain that it's one of the two, and therefore friend.

Wasps are some of the best friends in the garden - if you can set fears of them aside. They're voracious predators.

Yeah, I've been dealing with the wasps for forever. I'm not allergic at all, so they're welcome (although I've noted a pointed absence of honey bees over the years), but we occasionally get yellow jackets, and those guys are assholes with wings.

Here in the middle .... I've seen more honey bees this year than I've seen in a long time.  I think it's because there was an abundance of clover this year.  Also, the Bumblebees seem thick this year.  The mud wasps seem thicker this year but the paper wasps seem down.  It's been a big year for the wheel bugs ... I see a few every day.  

Glad to hear they're making a comeback. Colony Collapse is concerning the heck out of me. Seen mud wasps and yellow jackets this year, and a ton of paper wasps. If love to raise a hive of honey bees, but I think the reason I don't see any is because the wasps eat them *shrugs*.

Back