• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds From pepper to seeds

OK...
I had bought some habs, hals, and chilis from the local grocery store and I didn't use them all. I would like to use the seeds to grow my own plants.
How do you do this??? Dry out the whole pepper and then remove the seeds and grow???
Is it really that simple??
TYIA!!!!!

RedSavina said:
OK...
I had bought some habs, hals, and chilis from the local grocery store and I didn't use them all. I would like to use the seeds to grow my own plants.
How do you do this??? Dry out the whole pepper and then remove the seeds and grow???
Is it really that simple??
TYIA!!!!!

You can pull the seeds right out of the fresh pod and plant them without even drying. Although I tend to set my seeds on a paper towel for a day or two since I'm not planting right away, I've been told that they do not need to be dried before germinating.

Just beware that oftentimes varieties you buy in the store may be hybrids and won't breed true to the parent. Doesn't mean you won't get a good plant, but it might not produce peppers that look or taste the exact same as the parent. But it might.

Txclosetgrower said:
You can pull the seeds right out of the fresh pod and plant them without even drying. Although I tend to set my seeds on a paper towel for a day or two since I'm not planting right away, I've been told that they do not need to be dried before germinating.

Just beware that oftentimes varieties you buy in the store may be hybrids and won't breed true to the parent. Doesn't mean you won't get a good plant, but it might not produce peppers that look or taste the exact same as the parent. But it might.

Yep, right out of the pepper and into the soil. My Dad buys these unlabeled sweet peppers all the time. I decided a while ago I was going to take some seeds and surprise him. March 1st I planted 3 seeds and they are all up.
As TX pointed out, they may not grow true to the original form. If you have the space to grow them I say go for it.

Back