• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds from seed to fruit

ok so i have scoured the internet looking for information on new strains of super hots and even some that have been around for a while. 
take for instance the carolina reaper, the only info i can find on that is its the hottest pepper in the world, created by ed currie,floral tasting, blah blah blah. but where is the good info, days to fruit, height, width, how long from seed to fruit, you know the actual info that would be helpful.   im sure a lot of people would like to know and the main reason for starting this is to have everybody add the info for newbies and even some pro's that dont know the info of other peppers.  so please post your experience with some lesser known pepper plants lets get as much info as possible please. what i am looking for is as follows.

pepper name

pepper taxonomic varieties  (ie c.chinese, c.annuum ect...)

average height

average width

average days from sprout to producing flowers

average days from flower to ripe fruit

average total days from seed to ripe fruit

average pot size

average spacing between plants in ground

sun preference's of the plant

and anything else i may have forgotten

Most of these things are highly variable based on the growing conditions that the plant is subjected to, and also individual variation within a variety.  The best rough guideline to go by would be to use the habits and characteristics inherent to the parent plants of the new strains.

KingLeerUK said:
Most of these things are highly variable based on the growing conditions that the plant is subjected to, and also individual variation within a variety.  The best rough guideline to go by would be to use the habits and characteristics inherent to the parent plants of the new strains.

that is true, i didnt think of this, thank you.

edit: what i was going to do is take all the information i could get on each plant and average it out, so joeblow in timbucktoo grew a reaper in x days from seed to fruit ect.... and jane doe in another part of the world grew it in y days from seed to fruit and some person in another part grew it in z days from fruit to seed. then id take all info add x+y+z= aa  divide aa by 3 and we get the combined average of that variety. as i ordered seeds for the reaper and have absolutely no info on them and have no idea what the parents did. and no way to get the info 

magicpepper said:
av
and anything else i may have forgotten

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php tried to aggregate this information, but they only have a short description, all that info. and it's not updated often it appears.

The best way to go about doing this is probably through updating the wikipedia entry for all the peppers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Capsicum_cultivars

This way anyone can edit it, and its is searchable, and able to be commented on etc. 

EDIT:
i messaged buckeye / peperlover and they said it's ok to use their images / descriptions on the wikipedia as it is for noncommercial use. We need to add them to the references if we use anything from them though.

KingLeerUK said:
yes very much so!
Most peppers like full sun
Almost all the superhots have the same parentage
So they are similar in most attributes
They all take between 120-160 days from seed to pod,
They all need a bit of extra calcium during the early blooming stage(unless your soil is really high in calcium) but I've seen the same species be anywhere from 2-9'ft tall some lanky, some bushy, some broad leaved, some small leaved, some waxy so dullish looking,etc,etc. There are so many variables
In this equation, it is almost impossible to give a single answer

chile_freak said:
yes very much so!
Most peppers like full sun
Almost all the superhots have the same parentage
So they are similar in most attributes
They all take between 120-160 days from seed to pod,
They all need a bit of extra calcium during the early blooming stage(unless your soil is really high in calcium) but I've seen the same species be anywhere from 2-9'ft tall some lanky, some bushy, some broad leaved, some small leaved, some waxy so dullish looking,etc,etc. There are so many variables
In this equation, it is almost impossible to give a single answer

ok it makes a lot of sense, i have a couple reapers that finally sprouted and thought id plant them in the ground to see how that is, but if its 120 to 160 days from seed to fruit then i might as well put them into pots, the growing season here is 90 to 120 days if i am really lucky, and so far 8 days have all ready been taken away from the season here due to frost and being to cold, usually may 24 we can plant but it wasnt until june 1st that i was able to put stuff out doors. some of these super hots i have never grown, and just trying to find info on them is hard other then the widely known "hottest pepper in the world" and other useless info 

edit: it doesnt help that i got a very late start this year like middle of may late

This is why so many of us who aren't blessed w 10-12 month growing seasons, start our supers in Dec,Jan or Feb to have them raring to go for middle of April or early may plant out etc, our growing season here is about 6-1\2 to 7-1/2 months depending on the year, and I've gotten pods off supers started as late as June 1st but nothing like the Dec or January starts that fill up w/ pods for 3-4 months before froast hits! And the over winter as do even better, A plant you start in January let's say, then overwintered, then planted out the following year in April will be nearly a year and a half old and will produce pods within a few weeks of plant out and keep you rolling in pods all summer long :D

i was going to start mine in January but circumstance's did not permit it and it was put on the back burner for a while. dealing with my dad and his cancer and him almost dying in January and stuck in the hospital until early may was first and foremost on the list. my dad loves his garden and growing peppers, all though he doesnt like to eat the hot peppers lol. so it was a late start because i waited for him to feel good enough to get out there with me and try to do some gardening, so this year, the best pepper plants are going to be over wintered and some started in December maybe November so i can have a good crop next year.

Another factor unaccounted for is indoors and hydroponic grows. When done properly it should make a very noticeable difference in growing speed, blooming, pod setting, etc. I agree there are too many variables to really make any concrete chart.

Family always comes first, I understand completely, I didn't get started w/ my peppers until march this year because my ladies mother had a heart attack in late December and my father had a stroke in January, so dealing w/ family issues backed me up several months myself, but Im sure all will work out, I always get more peppers than I can use, I sell some sauces and powders and like to give away pods, powdwers, and sauce to pepper buddies!

ikeepfish said:
Another factor unaccounted for is indoors and hydroponic grows. When done properly it should make a very noticeable difference in growing speed, blooming, pod setting, etc. I agree there are too many variables to really make any concrete chart.

there are, but a rough estimate should be good enough, i mean even a regular bell pepper has its ups and downs, but most pepper plants have rough estimates except the newer super hots, dont need anything written in stone, but some where in the ball park, and i am satisfied with the 120 to 160 days from seed to fruit, 

chile_freak said:
Family always comes first, I understand completely, I didn't get started w/ my peppers until march this year because my ladies mother had a heart attack in late December and my father had a stroke in January, so dealing w/ family issues backed me up several months myself, but Im sure all will work out, I always get more peppers than I can use, I sell some sauces and powders and like to give away pods, powdwers, and sauce to pepper buddies!

that it does, some times i forget that as i get older so do my parents, hope everyone in your family is well though, heart attacks and strokes are just as bad as cancer.

I've only grown about 300 varieties so far, but if you need questions answered about a particular variety send me a pm and I will help u anyway I can.
P.s. you can shorten the time it takes to get ripe fruit, if u cut the nitrogen and jack up the potassium and phosphorus your plants will be smaller and you will get less pods, but if time is a factor at least you will get some pods! I recommend Alaska brand more bloom 0-10-10 if necessary, even if you are not in a rush the more bloom can help if u start dosing them when they first start setting blooms, it will help them set many pods. Just my $.02
And also thank you they are both recovering nicely!

chile_freak said:
I've only grown about 300 varieties so far, but if you need questions answered about a particular variety send me a pm and I will help u anyway I can.
P.s. you can shorten the time it takes to get ripe fruit, if u cut the nitrogen and jack up the potassium and phosphorus your plants will be smaller and you will get less pods, but if time is a factor at least you will get some pods! I recommend Alaska brand more bloom 0-10-10 if necessary, even if you are not in a rush the more bloom can help if u start dosing them when they first start setting blooms, it will help them set many pods. Just my $.02
And also thank you they are both recovering nicely!
might be two cents but its still worth something right!

Back