• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Frost in the near future, Dig up or protect?

Should I Dig them and repot, Or Protect

• Total voters
The first Bhuts my plant has made was around the 1st of August. I really want to get a few ripe peppers from it. Same with the Thais.

The Bhut is a medium sized plant, probably 2 feet tall, With most branches coming out after the first foot of stalk

And the Thais are very small, but spread out, They are less than a foot tall with many horizontal branches.

I dont think I will have a problem potting up the Thais with them being so small, But the Bhut seems like it will be a challenge to pot up.

They are coming out of the garden and were just in regular dirt.

Thanks
Ben
[/size]​

I would think that, with MD being next to the ocean, the temps there would moderate some, at least more than here (Cleve, OH.) That would tell me you likely have to mid- to late-October that you can continue to leave them outside. That said, the main question on my mind is whether you want to over-winter the plants. If you don't, and you don't get frost or temps below 50F, you could leave them outside until the pods ripen - but then if they don't before the frost comes, dig them up at that time. Otherwise, if you want to overwinter, you're going to be digging them up, so will want to do that before the ground hardens. Regardless, I'd leave them alone at least until the end of September, then see where things are at.

Agree with the others. You have plenty of time for the pods to ripen. If you end up potting to overwinter once it gets closer to 'that time' you shouldn't have any trouble with either plant.

There are plenty of threads on the subject. The search is probably still a little funky, but I believe your best info would be by searching for "overwinter". You might want to plan on building a structure for the Bhut to get as many ripe as possible, then decide to dig it up and overwinter. The Thais might be easier to grow again from seed.

In Maryland we start to get frosts in september, I guess I will just leave them in until the night before the frost. I think that this will be better for me because my work schedule wont permit me to cover and uncover them alot.

Some of the vegetables keep growing until late october but they are usually just the cold weather veggies, like broccoli, and radishes. My peppers always seem to stop growing in september

And I was trying to use the search, but error message kept coming up.

Thanks for all of your opinions

You shouldn't have any heavy frosts or continuous weather in the 30's F until October so I'd just cover them up with a blanket when needed, unless you plan on overwintering. Plants can handle the 40's F quite well, especially if they are protected from cool winds. They may not grow much more, but fruits will continue to ripen and plants will stay living

Back