• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Frozen Peppers

Does freezing peppers take away from the heat and taste of peppers?
Just wondering because I've never tried it and I'm interested in trying it.

no, it doesn't take away any heat. The flesh of the pods is mushy, but they are still as hot as fresh. Taste is the same in a sauce, but again, texture won't be the same as a fresh pod.

Agree. Better to use finely chopped or pureed if you're going to freeze. I've both frozen and dehydrated, and prefer the texture of rehydrated pods to the texture of frozen pods, but feel both have their place.

Agree. Better to use finely chopped or pureed if you're going to freeze. I've both frozen and dehydrated, and prefer the texture of rehydrated pods to the texture of frozen pods, but feel both have their place.

Thanks.

i have used frozen peppers in sauces and ferments with no heat loss. since i put them in as a puree already it doesnt seem to matter

Something I have been doing recently is taking peppers while they are still frozen and using a cheese grater to "powder" them onto whatever I'm cooking. Try it!!

I use frozen peppers for cooking and in sauces all the time. Works great in my view. Myself I leave the pods whole. Makes it easy for my simple mind to judge how much I'm fixing to use. Just like a fresh pod.
Want more heat use a bigger pod or several small ones. Also whole pods are easy to take apart. They don't turn into a block of peppers for me anyway.

The heat and flavor are still good. They get mushy after though. I cut em up small for cooking or make sauces with them.

if you grind the chiles before freezing, put them into pint Ziploc bags and freeze them flat. Makes it easier to break off small chunks, re-seal the bag and back into the freezer. I like Noah's idea for grating frozen pods. PS- are you coming to the NWCF in August?

Also if you like roasted chile's, freezing them doesn't change the texture too drastically (from that soft roasted texture). I roast and de-skin a couple lbs of NuMex green chile varieties every year and the freezer keeps them near perfect if you don't let air in your freezer bags. Still work perfectly for chile rellenos.

I suggest separating your roasted chile into small single use portions before freezing because cutting/prying portions from a giant frozen block is nearly impossible without thawing the whole thing.

if you grind the chiles before freezing, put them into pint Ziploc bags and freeze them flat. Makes it easier to break off small chunks, re-seal the bag and back into the freezer. I like Noah's idea for grating frozen pods. PS- are you coming to the NWCF in August?

K thanks. Where is it at again?

Info Here- don't want to clutter this thread too much :)

I freeze bunches every year. I take one out of the zip lock and put a little plastic wrap on it and run iT under the sink. They thaw in less than a minute. I slice them and add to sandwiches, soups, you name it. Who's gonna really eat a Bhut or Scorp whole anyway?
i never see any difference between fresh and frozen for anything I use them for really.
Mushy? Yes, but who cares. You cant tell in a bite of a salami sandwich. Just feel the heat :))

Back