• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Frozen pods for salsa?

Hopefully next year I'll have frozen pods (bigger season planned), but I have a couple of questions. Can frozen pods be used for making salsa, even though I know they will get mushy (so chunky salsa might not work)? And is there anywhere I can buy frozen pods for this year? I can only find orange habs here and last time I went they were all moldy... :rofl:
Jerry

Hophead said:
Why don't you buy some dried pods or some powder cant think of any place that sells frozen pepper pods.
Dried chilli in salsa sounds not good, and powder doesn't sound like salsa.
You can use either to make a nice hot sauce, but salsa?

Halbrust said:
Dried chilli in salsa sounds not good, and powder doesn't sound like salsa.
You can use either to make a nice hot sauce, but salsa?

Well you would rehydrate the dried pods before they go into the salsa im sure it would be the same texture as adding thawed frozen pods.

Hmm... rehydrated chillies always seem kinda leathery to me. I've never eaten frozen and thawed pods though.

Chop up the frozen pods really fine so you don't get a big chunk of soft chile in the fresh salsa. 

Use some fresh jalapenos for the fresh chile chunk and jack up the heat with a bit of superhot powder (or pure evil :halo: ).

Don't know anyone who sells frozen pods, too expensive to ship frozen, and not much of a market for it. 

Back