• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fruit fly

Hey guys this summer just gone I had a bit of a fruitfly issue they were smashing my anahiem and habs, burn't all infected fruit but am wondering if they will attack my new bhuts and trinidad 7 pot and moruga chillis.

Also if anyone has any other good methods of getting rid of them? I have my chickens running around unleashing hell on any larvae that may be left in the ground

Damn fruit fly! :mad:

Never had a problem with 'em until recently. This season I lost roughly 95% of my pickings to the little shits. Smashed the crap out of everything. Tried a double dose of Rogor (a systemic pesticide--no longer registered for use on food crops, BTW) but it didn't appear to do anything. Not a happy camper.

Seems as though fruit fly is very quickly becoming a real problem here in Brissy. :(

Sorry. Not much help!

:welcome: from another Brisburnian, BTW!

yea they got around this summer only just starting to leave some pods alone, I'm half thinking before next season I may look at setting up a enclosed/fruit fly net area around my chillis, I can't use anything that could kill of my fish, so was trying to look at eco friendly ways to get rid of them but the only reports i've read that seem positive are ones that involve mesh.

Is something around attracting them? (apart from your chilli`s) what else are you growing?

Mezo.

nothing else besides chillis the are mainly smashing my anahiems at the moment got rid of the habs and replaced with the hot stuff :) but the nucs aren't producing fruit yet so I'm not sure if they will be affected?

not that I know of, was looking at something simular to that trap you posted but I'm thinking the only way to be 100% sure if build nets around my aquaponics system but then again polination may be an issue, the other thing I'm thinking may be attracting them is my system is overstocked which is giving me a small ammonia reading in the water samples so I'll address that issue and collect any unsightly looking chillis as per usual and if next season I start seeing issues with my fruit I'll build something then i suppose

Im pretty sure Bunning`s sell fruit fly traps as well? but they are pretty simple to make & they work very well.'

Pollination wont be an issue chilli`s self pollinate.

Mezo.

Back