• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fruit flys

You can take a glass with some vinegar in it, cover it with vita wrap and punch a small hole in it. The flies are attracted to the vinegar, will fly into the glas and can't come out because of the small hole so they drown. Hope this explaination is understandable, I've never had to explain it in english before. :P

Nulle said:
You can take a glass with some vinegar in it, cover it with vita wrap and punch a small hole in it. The flies are attracted to the vinegar, will fly into the glas and can't come out because of the small hole so they drown. Hope this explaination is understandable, I've never had to explain it in english before. :P
You can mix vinegar with a squirt of dish soap in a cup and cover lightly with clear wrap. Then use a toothpick and make holes int he plastic wrap. 

I am still thinking these are fungal gnats and laying eggs in his soil that will soon start to feed on the roots. There are a few threads on fungal gnats. 

I use the yellow stick traps. They fly into in and are stuck forever. Be careful not to stick yourself to the trap. When it sticks to your arm hair, ouch.

Vinegar, water, soap in a dish works to interrupt the cycle by killing the adults  You can add some cinnamon to the top of the soil to get the larvae to die off.  It will kill some of the fungus that they feed on in the top inch of soil.  Let the soil dry out a bit to kill them off too.  You can also throw some DE on top.  I'm not big on chemicals and I'm having to deal with this after potting up a basil plant I got from the grocery store.  

Here is one of my sticky traps after a week.

AFE59264-A484-4E46-AE9E-B20F01548FF0_zps6emerlsp.jpg

It is double sided. I'm only using one side at a time.

Here is how I place them in order to catch the bugs.

A0157DA4-7A07-4ABA-B6E6-DBB5ACE0E816_zpshdmoaot0.jpg

I place it in the corner making sure it does not stick to the plant.

No plants were harmed during this photo shoot.

Back