• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fungal/Bacterliar disease or something else ?

This is Orange Cayennen Pepper plant . I have two of them and both of them showing same thing . 

Attachments

• 20200404_173630.jpg
    20200404_173630.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200404_173636.jpg
    20200404_173636.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200404_173640.jpg
    20200404_173640.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 89
CaneDog said:
Chlorotic spotting is indicative of mosaic virus.  All and only plants from the same seeds supports that, too.  I can't guarantee it, but if they were mine I'd treat it as such.
plant is growing normally with full vigor , but as soon as leaves become old they turn out like this 

Lord, that does look like mosaic. You should probably throw away those plants, and any of the remaining seeds that you have. If multiple plants from the same stock show it, the seed is almost certainly the vector.

+1.  I still can't say it's absolutely mosaic, but unfortunately your update on the plants appearing to be doing well doesn't provide any compelling evidence that it's not.

From what I've read on MV, that the plants are growing well for a time isn't any strong indication it isn't MV.  It can appear relatively benign at times, especially early and in cooler conditions, but it tends to get worse as the weather heats up.  It's very contagious and it contaminates seeds - as stated above.  The virus also contaminates hands easily, so if you're handling that plant and then others - or other items touch both - your at risk of passing it on.

CaneDog said:
+1.  I still can't say it's absolutely mosaic, but unfortunately your update on the plants appearing to be doing well doesn't provide any compelling evidence that it's not.

From what I've read on MV, that the plants are growing well for a time isn't any strong indication it isn't MV.  It can appear relatively benign at times, especially early and in cooler conditions, but it tends to get worse as the weather heats up.  It's very contagious and it contaminates seeds - as stated above.  The virus also contaminates hands easily, so if you're handling that plant and then others - or other items touch both - your at risk of passing it on.
temps are already high from past 2 months - 70 - 100 F/ 22- 38 C. 

Hey J100.  I wish I could give you a definite answer, but I can't.  Your cayenne plants do look like they're growing strongly in those recent two pictures.  If I'd seen only those, I'm not sure I would have even suspected a virus.  On the other hand, the early pictures look very much like mosaic virus and viruses in plants don't go away simply because they're not apparently symptomatic. 

The cost of a virus is it spreading to other plants and becoming a major problem.  Even worse with MV, what I've read is that it can stick around for a long time even when you don't have live plants, growing.  That's why I'm quick on the trigger if I think I might have an issue.  I've seen people lose all their plants trying to save a couple and I want to avoid that.

The best thing to do is to contact a local plant expert who can test some of the tissue.  Many larger universities with extension offices provide those services - though not everyone is near one. Otherwise you're stuck balancing a self-assessed level of risk against the cost of mitigation.

Good luck!  I definitely hope it's not.

MV is also contagious in other plants - some of which may be well off your radar. There is no Cayenne pepper worth the risk of a viral plague. Everyone assigns different value, of course, but I'm with CD. Even if this wasn't a very low value specimen, I'd still err on the side of caution. Your initial pics were absolutely textbook for MV.

solid7 said:
Lord, that does look like mosaic. You should probably throw away those plants, and any of the remaining seeds that you have. If multiple plants from the same stock show it, the seed is almost certainly the vector.

Is this virus not possible to kill in a growing plant?

hi

evolka said:

Is this virus not possible to kill in a growing plant?
hii , i dont think it was virus , however i do remember of spraying leaves with pressure water from sprayer to remove insects  . I think that caused this funky looks . Plant is now around 4 ft tall and producing alot of fruits . 

jonassx100 said:
hi

hii , i dont think it was virus , however i do remember of spraying leaves with pressure water from sprayer to remove insects  . I think that caused this funky looks . Plant is now around 4 ft tall and producing alot of fruits . 
Do you use only water?

Back