• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fungus Gnat ??

I had those things really bad this year in my seedling cups when they were inside. Thousands of them flying around the house.

I took Neem oil and filled water bottle caps and put them around the seedling cups. They quickly filled with dead gnats. I also tried apple cider vinegar and a little dish soap. That killed them to, but I think the Neem actually attracted more to their deaths.

One thing to avoid this issue altogether is to sterilize your soil before you use it. The stuff you get from walmart is practically guaranteed to have these things in it.
+1.... I absolutetly will never ever overwinter plants again without sterilizing the growing medium first. Except maybe Pro-Mix--says sterilaztion not required.

I had those things really bad this year in my seedling cups when they were inside. Thousands of them flying around the house.
I like all the ideas for surface slaughter, and have used them. But if your soil has become heavily infested, as indicated by catching a lot of the adult flyers on the surface--whether with sticky traps or beer or Neem or Dawn juice--it will not kill the 200 or so larvae from each adult now possibly growing in the soil.

The best in the west (for heavy infestation) by far for me: mosquito dunks. Active ingredient BTi. Drench soil with it, larvae die in about 3 days. Kill off adults with the traps.

If only a light infestation, the traps will keep them at bay--you hope--till Spring plant out.
My apologies for the rehash (horse now dead). But I hate them fungking gnats... :cool:

Howdy all,

Looks like the Gnat situation has been controlled after putting cinnimon around the top soil and table they sit on just came home and checked and i dont see any and the bowl of water/soap was empty as well thanks for all your info and heres a pic of the Head Hab he thanks you too :lol:

i named him Chief :dance:
chief.jpg

Back