• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Garden Photos

Josh said:
I certainly do not know my corn but I will have to keep an eye out for the silver queen sweet. Is that traditional, sugar enhanced, or supersweet?

Do you have any pod shots of the Pinot Noir Bells? I have some bells going myself. I use them mainly for sausage and peppers dishes.

I believe Silver Queen is an heirloom. Mobile/Fairhope area of Alabama is pretty famous for it. You can honestly eat it directly off the cob raw - it's that good. I wasn't going to grow it but I actually saw several plants at Home Depot and had to have. Probably not the best choice for my small 300 ft2 garden since I should be able to buy it for 4 for a dollar in a few weeks. But, what the hey, I like trying out different things.

The Pinot Noir Bells are days away from podding and I will post pictures. Of all the peppers I'm growing this year, it's the one I'm most excited about. And the Piri Piri and the Aji Panca and the Pimento de Padron. Never can make up my mind.....

Take care,

Bob

Bob_B said:
I believe Silver Queen is an heirloom. Mobile/Fairhope area of Alabama is pretty famous for it. You can honestly eat it directly off the cob raw - it's that good.

We had Silver Queen 2 years ago and it is the yummiest corn ever. Didn't eat it raw but "cooking" it involved getting it hot and not much else. I was thinking of doing corn this year but the flood solved that question for me. Been buying fresh ears of white corn at the supernarket - never as fresh as with your own garden though.

caroltlw said:
We had Silver Queen 2 years ago and it is the yummiest corn ever. Didn't eat it raw but "cooking" it involved getting it hot and not much else. I was thinking of doing corn this year but the flood solved that question for me. Been buying fresh ears of white corn at the supernarket - never as fresh as with your own garden though.

I hear you Carol. Hopefully, you won't have to put up with that flood business for several years. Now that we're getting into hurricane season, I'm starting to worry as I always do this time of the year.

Good luck!

Bob

Back