• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Garden warfare

Go to Ace Hardware and get one of those "Have a heart" small animal traps, about $30. Catch him and relocate him on your way to work. Works real good on stray cats as well......

The time was 20:17 on the evening of Monday, May 12th. Operation Cuddly No More was underway. All branches (aka fiancée) had approved the use of chemical warfare. The jerry (German Shepherd - AKA Heidi) and I had been partnered up in a joint operation, she a seasoned assault berserker and I, a green thumbed green horn, began working on completing the mission objective of establishing a great wall of stink via Liquid Fence between us and the enemy. As we take a step on the battlefield, a moment of panic immediately sets in as the assault squad realizes the enemy is already beyond our lines and attacking our assets. Jerry automatically kicks in to warrior mode and commences a full on assault.

Within seconds, it was over and the enemy was cornered with nowhere to go, jerry having it subdued pending the execution command. Before we could finish off the POW we get a call from home base for a stay of execution. Lucky fluffy little ball of destruction...

Reluctantly the joint task force released the enemy along with a message of what would be waiting should they or their buddies return. As added precaution, we released the chemical weapons at all entry/exit points. Let's hope we got the point across and the enemy realizes it's not worth the risk and effort to taste the coalition's nightshade stockpile again.

Okay, I'm all done being stupid now. Well, that will probably never end but at least the bad storytelling has. I must say, that repellent spray is pungent, to be polite about it. The label shows "putrescent egg shells" as the main ingredient, so you know it's gonna smell great.

Proud of our little 80 lb puppy for her work cornering that rabbit though. Hopefully we scared it enough tonight to not come back again, considering it was staring in the face of death at our mercy.

Man, I'm actually getting a headache from the smell of that stuff... hopefully that is a sign it will do its job well.

Jeff H said:
hassenpfeffer
Did a Google image search on that and holy cow that looks tasty! Never heard of it before... will have to remember to try it out sometime.

EliteMcScruffin said:
The time was 20:17 on the evening of Monday, May 12th. Operation Cuddly No More was underway. All branches (aka fiancée) had approved the use of chemical warfare. The jerry (German Shepherd - AKA Heidi) and I had been partnered up in a joint operation, she a seasoned assault berserker and I, a green thumbed green horn, began working on completing the mission objective of establishing a great wall of stink via Liquid Fence between us and the enemy. As we take a step on the battlefield, a moment of panic immediately sets in as the assault squad realizes the enemy is already beyond our lines and attacking our assets. Jerry automatically kicks in to warrior mode and commences a full on assault.

Within seconds, it was over and the enemy was cornered with nowhere to go, jerry having it subdued pending the execution command. Before we could finish off the POW we get a call from home base for a stay of execution. Lucky fluffy little ball of destruction...

Reluctantly the joint task force released the enemy along with a message of what would be waiting should they or their buddies return. As added precaution, we released the chemical weapons at all entry/exit points. Let's hope we got the point across and the enemy realizes it's not worth the risk and effort to taste the coalition's nightshade stockpile again.

Okay, I'm all done being stupid now. Well, that will probably never end but at least the bad storytelling has. I must say, that repellent spray is pungent, to be polite about it. The label shows "putrescent egg shells" as the main ingredient, so you know it's gonna smell great.

Proud of our little 80 lb puppy for her work cornering that rabbit though. Hopefully we scared it enough tonight to not come back again, considering it was staring in the face of death at our mercy.

Man, I'm actually getting a headache from the smell of that stuff... hopefully that is a sign it will do its job well.

An epic narrative, good sir.  And I told ya it would reek lol!  Bowels of hell was no understatement.

sreinhard88 said:
An epic narrative, good sir.  And I told ya it would reek lol!  Bowels of hell was no understatement.
Thank you! I try to have fun with forum posts but sometimes can go a bit overboard.

Bowels of hell is definitely one phrase you could associate with it. Gotta say, I've never smelled anything quite like it.
swellcat said:
Nice! Watching that was a bit disturbing when I realized that they executed Yosemite Sam in a pretty medieval way for a kid's show. Sort of disturbing even though it's not shown.

I am starting to get a distinct Bugs PITA feel from this little bunny problem though. He literally taunts me and I swear I have seen it give me the finger on two occasions.

McGuiver said:
Well last time I went dove hunting, I also came home with a jack rabbit. Just saying a 20ga shotgun with a full choke at 15 yards makes a good BBQ meal out of rabbit. Only out in the country side of course.

Look into getting a hot wire type fence. Like they have for small critters or cattle. They remember once they get zapped. They shouldn't come back. I bet you will remember to shut it off once it zaps your too.
You ate a Jack Rabbit? You must really be hungry. lol

You ate a [perfectly edible hare]? You must really be hungry.

Or maybe he's wise and man enough to ignore ignorance and cultural bias that gets passed off as "truth".  It's usually someone who's never tried an item who assures us it's absolutely inedible . . . you know, 'cause he always heard that.
_____

Not that decision-making is about logic or anything, but calves, too, are cute and furry.  Does this knowledge keep The LawGiver out of the What's-This?-A-Burger? drive-thru?

swellcat said:

Or maybe he's wise and man enough to ignore ignorance and cultural bias that gets passed off as "truth".  It's usually someone who's never tried an item who assures us it's absolutely inedible . . . you know, 'cause he always heard that.
_____

Not that decision-making is about logic or anything, but calves, too, are cute and furry.  Does this knowledge keep The LawGiver out of the What's-This?-A-Burger? drive-thru?

I said that because my dad grew up in the country and hunted and broke horses, etc.
He always said you don't eat them because of some disease or something they carry. I can't remember what he said now as it was long ago.

I like how most everyone on this site doesn't get too bitchy towards one another. Trolling, flame wars, and the like really sour a good thing. Good to see a cool head and even response.

Back to the mission!

For 24 hours I have not seen the rabbit or anything else for that matter (a box turtle randomly showed up early last week). I got paranoid I saw one earlier and started shooting BBs into a bush randomly, but apparently it was all in my head. Kept thinking I just needed to aim a hare to the left or right and I'd flush it out (see what I did there?). I think it's post-trarabbit stress disorder or something.

It doesn't help that Scovy has scarred my mind either. He knows what he did.

Anyways, the only real drawback I can state at this point after using the repellent spray is that my dog seems to enjoy digging her face in it while searching for the rabbit. I gave her a hug and thought she had started moonlighting as a hell hound sniffing the butt of whatever the bowels of hell belong to. It's not something I recommend doing.

I'll keep y'all updated on how it works out.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I said that because my dad grew up in the country and hunted and broke horses, etc.
He always said you don't eat them because of some disease or something they carry. I can't remember what he said now as it was long ago.

I used to hunt rabbits back in Texas when I was in College. The rule was not to hunt them till after the first frost because there was a parasite that was killed off after the first frost. Don't know what it was or if it was just some bull made up somewhere but we followed it and never got sick. I even remember one month when my room mate and I were down to nothing but a 20 pound bag of taters and a box of 12 gauge shells. We ate good :)

Completely off topic but which college did you go to?

To stay somewhat on topic, the rain has stopped and it was finally dry today. I decided to reapply the Liquid Fence. Oh did I mention it was windy? Yeah... don't use in windy conditions. Freakin' stuff flew back in my mouth. MY MOUTH. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. You ever eat $#!t before? I imagine it would taste better.

Screw you rabbit, you've resulted in many negative events. Next time I see you I might just be the executioner.

ikeepfish said:
Capsaicin causes a burning sensation in mammals in particular.  Guess what a rabbit is...

make a spray with pepper powder or do some dusting.
I had considered this, but ultimately I don't want to punish my dog for trying to track the rabbit in the back yard.  She sniffs everywhere looking for it every time we let her out.  I know she'd probably get burned once and then not go near the spot again, but I don't want her burned at all.

Just came home to find my huge chinese cabbage gnawed down to a stub. The War is on! I'll be camping with the pellet gun tonight .

Correction, bastards got ALL my brussels sprouts, broccoli and egg plant as well. Not to mention the old ladies flowers out front.

AldenMiller said:
I live in a rural area so my solution would be using an HMR 17.

I love my .17 HMR. It's like shooting a little laser cannon. I've never hunted or dealt with a varmint with it, but it sure is fun to shoot grapefruits with! I'd never seen a fruit turn inside out before that...

edit: Hey, D3monic. Have you ever seen the episode of "Married with Children" where Al tries to start a vegetable garden? 

Back