Gas Problem ;)

LOL

I swore I would never own a gas grill, until a couple of years ago, when my neighbor across the street built an outdoor kitchen, and gave me a really nice stainless 4 + 1 burner gas grill. I use the hell out of it for easy stuff.

But...I'm having problem with it now. I turn the gas on, turn the burner on, and manually light it. It barely fires up, and goes out within a couple of minutes. I tried every burner...same thing. I exchanged the cylinder...still doing it. I'm guessing I have a problem in the line somewhere...how do I figure that one out?

Thanks

I am not sure what model you have but if its a Webber just go to a retailer and they would be able to tell you what part you need. Most parts are in stock. To me it does sound like a line or burner issue. I would call up whatever manufacturer and have them help troubleshoot it with you. Maybe they can point you in the right direction. I would call soon if you plan on using it this weekend.

Try cleaning the burners and burner orifices. If they are clean, try turning the gas on slowly. I had a similar problem that was cured by doing that. I don't know if it's a safety built into the tank or regulator or what. If that doesn't help, try replacing the gas regulator. Should be available from Lowes, etc. fairly cheap.

Sounds like the regulator check the side of it if theres a hole that can get crude/insect matter inside it don't poke it to hard piercing the membrane is bad. they can get moisture inside em which is bad. turn the valve on and the grill on high tap on the regulator with a hammer handle sometimes this frees them up.
Regulator-1.jpg

I think it might be the regulator...the burners holes are crud-free. But, I will double check them again.

I was actually thinking about doing some ribs this weekend (smoker-duty)...making a custom blend rub with scotch bonnets, arbols, and ghost peppers! :onfire:

i don't have a natural gas bbq.... yet!

my gas meter is inside my house and i have been waiting 10 years for the gas company to move it outside and when they do, i am going to have them install an outside outlet for a bbq. the gas company came in 10 years ago to assess what they need to do to move the meter outside, gave me the paper work and i never heard back from them - they did my neighbours but not mine. they called again last year and said by april/may of 2011 my meter is targeted to be moved outside, still no word but they did do my other neighbour's house in early may. i have no more propane in my tank and i didn't want to refill it with the current shape of my existing bbq.

back to your problem, though i am not a certified gas fitter, i do have to fart around with my gas furnace from time to time, it does sound like a regulator issue, safety mechanism kicking in and shutting down the gas supply. try disconnecting the infeed gas line, first shut of the main gas feed, open the bbq lid, turn on all the controls on high for 5 minutes to relieve any trapped gas, turn off all the controls, reconnect the main gas line feed and try lighting the bbq again. hopefully this resets the regulator and you are back to bbq'ing. if not, then the regulator will have to be replaced but you have to make sure of the natural gas regulator rating, you can't just go buy any regulator, it has to be rated for your bbq.

on the very remote chance, the main coupler may not be making a good connection - what happens here, is your bbq may have a minimum gas feed rating and the miss connect is failing to provide the minimum feed pressure, usually disconnecting the main feed(after shutting the gas off) and reconnecting fixes this issue as long as you are very careful on reconnecting the coupler.

most of all, be safe, if you haven't seen the results of a natural gas bbq explosion, it can be really messy.... again, just be safe. if you are feeling the least bit of reluctance, call a certified gas fitter. OR, it may be time for a new gas bbq - ya daddy!

I used to use gas grills a long time ago...if memory serves me...it is a bad regulator. Replace the regulator and it should be fine.

typically it ends up as being spider webs in the air/mix below the knobs to adjust flames - there are little holes in the fixture you can generally run a qyip in and clean them out

you probably fixed the regulator by now, but usually disconnecting it from the hose and giving it a firm tap on the spring side with a screwdriver/hammer/what have you will fix it. Sometimes the spring likes to stick for some reason and just needs a little coaxing. I actually am a certified gas fitter lol, and have fixed several buddies grills (for a 6 pack) like this. Easiest beer I ever earned!

you probably fixed the regulator by now, but usually disconnecting it from the hose and giving it a firm tap on the spring side with a screwdriver/hammer/what have you will fix it. Sometimes the spring likes to stick for some reason and just needs a little coaxing. I actually am a certified gas fitter lol, and have fixed several buddies grills (for a 6 pack) like this. Easiest beer I ever earned!

LOL...I thought I updated this one...but it's working fine now. I bought a new regulator. I tried tapping it, but it wouldn't cooperate.

Back