• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's new glog thing

Intros... something I'm not good at. Instead I'm only giving the quick low-down this time ('cause it's my glog and I can :D). Basically, I've started this season with a whole bunch of hybrids that I've been playing around with and will be moving on to C. chinense and some wild species very soon, followed not long after by everything else. I have no final list or anything at this point and as usual I will probably just post about different varieties as they come and grow. Due to various distractions and extreme weather last season, the dismal season that was, I didn't have much to write home about and hence why I wasn't around here much. If things end up going down the gurgler again and I crack another nana and abruptly stop posting, please accept my apologies in advance. :)

And no, I do not want to talk about last season. ;)

To kick things off, just some random going-ons:

D05asEE.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F2 -- green and black variation

v18ylBm.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F2 -- green and black variation

81Qq2of.jpg

Black C. annuum x wild species F1 -- mature berry

qsRVpVl.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- maturing berry

RnSG3k7.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- mature berries

63FJoti.jpg

Yellow C. baccatum x white C. chinense F1 -- flower

YszEgVH.jpg

Spanish Naga x CGN 21500 F2 -- C. chinense

lPQPeaw.jpg

'Spanish Naga x CGN 21566 F2' and 'Spanish Naga x CGN 21500 F2'

IpwUYef.jpg

Wild species -- I love the look of wild, straggly things in my garden :D

zvmlOcf.jpg

Unknown C. annuum (Goat's Weed?) x wild C. annuum type or C. frutescens? -- ripe berries detach from calyx with little effort

Thanks for lookin'!
:high:

gasificada said:
Funny you should ask that, HAJ. 3 out of 4 sprouted for me. Which is pretty good considering the fertility problems I had with another C. baccatum x C. chinense I had growing a few years ago. Not that I'm holding my breath on this one, though. In both cases, the F1 plants produced very little seed, and in the case of the other plant, F2 produced even less. I can't see myself playing around with this species mix again.

Since your previous baccatum X chinense crosses convinced me to try my own, I hoped I could get a bit of optimism regarding the seeds of the coming generations. Didn't work that well  :cry:

HAJ said:
Since your previous baccatum X chinense crosses convinced me to try my own, I hoped I could get a bit of optimism regarding the seeds of the coming generations. Didn't work that well  :cry:
Never say never. 4/4 seeds have now sprouted... :dance: I still won't be surprised if this one suffers fertility issues, but from what I have seen so far, I am at least a little more optimistic about seeing what the F2 generation brings.

IIRC, I think Ajijoe has successfully grown on baccatum x chinense hybrids? And I'm sure others exist? To my understanding, it isn't the most compatible species mix but it can work.

I wish I could tell you more (whether positive or negative) but I can only talk from my limited experience! ;)

gasificada said:
Never say never. 4/4 seeds have now sprouted... :dance: I still won't be surprised if this one suffers fertility issues, but from what I have seen so far, I am at least a little more optimistic about seeing what the F2 generation brings.

IIRC, I think Ajijoe has successfully grown on baccatum x chinense hybrids? And I'm sure others exist? To my understanding, it isn't the most compatible species mix but it can work.

I wish I could tell you more (whether positive or negative) but I can only talk from my limited experience! ;)
OK, there is hope. I have 6 F2 plants now, a bunch of F2 seeds and the F1 plant is still producing.

HAJ said:
OK, there is hope. I have 6 F2 plants now, a bunch of F2 seeds and the F1 plant is still producing.

So the F1 produced a lot of seed then? In which case, sounds like everything might be sweet! This is where it goes pear-shaped for me. My F1's produce very little viable seed and then the F2 generation just gets worse. One F2 plant I had even produced completely seedless berries.

Now I am jealous hahaha.

gasificada said:

So the F1 produced a lot of seed then? In which case, sounds like everything might be sweet! This is where it goes pear-shaped for me. My F1's produce very little viable seed and then the F2 generation just gets worse. One F2 plant I had even produced completely seedless berries.

Now I am jealous hahaha.

Don't be. I have lots of seeds because I have been growing the F1 plant for more than a year, and harvested every seed I could find. On average I guess I get 1 or 2 viable seeds per berry. Just have to eat a lot of them to get enough seeds  :)

gasificada said:
Pure magma (TS ButchT) :fireball:

IJ3DP5V.jpg

Anyone grown Pepino fruit before? I'm wondering what to expect from this guy....
CrqLBp7.jpg

Yeah, I've grown them before, nice plants, but for whatever reason mine didn't set fruit the right way... I hope they work out for you...

KqRwJ9X.jpg

Just some random starts.

bqfY0Wo.jpg

Some more random starts.

9fvWd6N.jpg

Purdy or ugly?

ldzHMEB.jpg

TS Moruga crosses -- two different F1's.

ffecqL7.jpg

F2's -- potentially something purdy there.

Up883nK.jpg

Tomato Wapsipinicon Peach -- unreal fruity taste that blew me away. Had to grow. :D

MdRUl1m.jpg

Thai Basil x Lemon or Lime Basil.

WmjdKHX.jpg

I'm tempted to let this go to see what happens but I need the finished product for my potting mix!

sByWQm6.jpg

Most bizarre thing... was planning on growing nettles this season and out of nowhere they've just started popping up everywhere. :crazy:

HAJ said:
Don't be. I have lots of seeds because I have been growing the F1 plant for more than a year, and harvested every seed I could find. On average I guess I get 1 or 2 viable seeds per berry. Just have to eat a lot of them to get enough seeds  :)

Ah haha yeah, that's about what I get out of mine. Still keen to see what happens, though, so keep me updated! Do you have a glog? (stupid question? haha). I will have to go in search of it later!

Spicegeist said:
Yeah, I've grown them before, nice plants, but for whatever reason mine didn't set fruit the right way... I hope they work out for you...

Cheers, mate! In what way didn't yours fruit right?

I'll tell you something too... they seem like quite the pest magnet! In the month or so I've had it, I think I've picked off every damn type of bad bug here! Did you find the same? I guess on the upside, this may pan out to be the magic pest distraction/trap plant I've dreamed of but didn't think really existed. :party: We shall see.

:think: I wonder what the fruit fly are gonna think of it. If it turns out they prefer it over my chilli, I can see myself planting a million of them to keep the bastages outta my chilli crop. Knowing my luck, though, not bloody likely! haha

gasificada said:

Most bizarre thing... was planning on growing nettles this season and out of nowhere they've just started popping up everywhere. :crazy:

Ah haha yeah, that's about what I get out of mine. Still keen to see what happens, though, so keep me updated! Do you have a glog? (stupid question? haha). I will have to go in search of it later!

Nettles you grow because you are too lazy to deweed them (at least in DK). Not sure what spreads the seeds, but spread they are !

Yes, there is a glog, which will be updated every now and then. Very short version: I'm looking for the right F2s.

Just a small update so I don't get lazy and fall behind!

White fuzzy-wuzzies:

ZvGhEFE.jpg

First bud from the new starts. Wouldn't have the foggiest what it is, that purple is not supposed to be there (bizzy beez last season):

thrXz12.jpg

Beautiful winter sun:

w3Aa1Dh.jpg

More bizzy beez I suspect. This should be C. annuum x C. annuum but I can't help but think there might be some C. chinense in there:

xHhFCho.jpg

Final colour of mature berry (F1). Legit. No PDN parentage, pure C. annuum x C. annuum:

v4e4eac.jpg

(OK, very deep red tinge but close enough to remaining black.)

Some winter warmers:

R82tQGr.jpg

Thanks for lookin' what I'm cookin'!

Jamison said:
Awesome!  Glad your back!  Beautiful start to the season!

Cheers mate!

HAJ said:
Nettles you grow because you are too lazy to deweed them (at least in DK). Not sure what spreads the seeds, but spread they are !

Weeds are plants with no purpose. Nettles on the other hand have the potential to keep my sister's dog outta the garden when she brings the little (big) bugger 'round! ;)

Plus I hear it makes good tea, both for plants and for me!

(I should write rhymes :lol:)

stickman said:
Stems and roots are looking strong and healthy Gassy... keep up the good work!

Cheers, stick! Since I started playing around with supplementing silica a few years ago, I've never looked back. The difference it makes is amazing and certainly noticeable. For what reason silica became declared/considered a non-essential micronute is beyond me! As for the roots, I've been playing around with something new this season and so far, from what I can see, it certainly seems to do what it's supposed to. I'm not gonna plug it just yet, though, until I've had a proper chance to play around with it.... ;)

Haven't made it to your glog yet but I'm getting there... I swear! :oops:

nuclearDays said:
All looking really good, Gas. :dance:

<insert Facepalm.jpg>  Don't give up your day job ... ;)

Oh c'mon now, it was only my first, of course that one will be my worst!

(Ummm, yeeeeah, you might be right... :rofl:)

Cheers mate!

Trippa said:
You are miles ahead there Gas !! ... I haven't even put any new seeds down yet (This week I will be) .. all looking positive so far!!

Trippa aka Trippa... :lol: (only just noticed that)

Believe it or not, I'm actually disappointed at myself for where I'm at. Been on work hols and haven't gone away anywhere due to having to keep an eye on the little fellas! Wouldn't be so bad if I had a whole farm or something going by now but hanging around here for such a small handful of plants.....?? Plus, I've had all this time up my sleeve and really, I've done dick all in the way of gardening! :rolleyes: Ah well, you get that, aye? Just been struggling to find motivation to do anything as of late.......

gasificada said:

Trippa aka Trippa... :lol: (only just noticed that)

Believe it or not, I'm actually disappointed at myself for where I'm at. Been on work hols and haven't gone away anywhere due to having to keep an eye on the little fellas! Wouldn't be so bad if I had a whole farm or something going by now but hanging around here for such a small handful of plants.....?? Plus, I've had all this time up my sleeve and really, I've done dick all in the way of gardening! :rolleyes: Ah well, you get that, aye? Just been struggling to find motivation to do anything as of late.......
I struggle with motivation mainly through my restrictions in growing in my current setup and pests here so I can relate... only can make the most of what you have and power on bro ... you are doing sweet keep it growing...

Trippa said:
you are doing sweet keep it growing...

I see what you did there. ;)

Pests are the worst. It would suck baaaad for you because it would be almost impossible to get a natural ecosystem, good bugs and all, going on a balcony grow? Me, fortunately, with a full yard and all, I've learned how to encourage the good guys, just let things be and everything seems to take care of it itself (understand, not so doable in your case!). It's hard to hold back on the sprays (soap, neem, whatever... I've learned still has a detrimental impact on the overall scheme of things) at the first sign of trouble, but it's all cycles. Bad guy dominance/good guy dominance. There are no good guys without the bad. Ironically, destroying the bad guys with sprays, etc, chemical or natural or whatever, only leaves the door open for greater infestation due to destroying what would be the biggest encouragement of the good.... food source! It's a never ending battle. :crazy: Now I'll let my plants take the hit during the bad cycles and restrain my itchy trigger finger 'cause I know everything's gonna be alright. :D But then there's the fruit fly. They seem to be above or separate from the ecosystem and come freely to destroy with very little to stand in the way. Predators exist (birds, spiders, etc) but the fruit fly numbers are just too great. :( Demotivational, I get that. ;)

Where did that come from?? I have no idea... but it was a moment of epiphany and I was having it, dammit! :lol:

Shurbryn said:
Awww man, I wish I had your grow season, Gassy! Good luck for the rest of the season bud.

No, you mean you want my winter. But if you diiiid want to take my summer too.... by all means! :D

Cheers mate!

gasificada said:
No, you mean you want my winter. But if you diiiid want to take my summer too.... by all means! :D

Cheers mate!

Yeah, that's a valid point. I would gladly take your winter. I'd take your summer too, but without the bugs lol

Back