• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc General advice for Carolina Reaper growing

I have my first CR plant that i bought from my local nursery the other day, i've potted it and it's looking happy. it's in a sheltered spot that gets plenty of afternoon sun. What are your tips and tricks for succesfully growing reapers? do the plants behave differently to other chilli varieties that you guys have noticed?

Their growth habit is slower, at least for me. Much the same care overall, less frequent deep waterings, for example. Be sure you have a large enough pot, they can reach a decent size. Might want to give them some support.

Mine last year didn't seem like they were going to do much of anything, not even setting fruit until late in the season. When they started, they came in quickly and were very prolific.

Their growth habit is slower, at least for me. Much the same care overall, less frequent deep waterings, for example. Be sure you have a large enough pot, they can reach a decent size. Might want to give them some support.

Mine last year didn't seem like they were going to do much of anything, not even setting fruit until late in the season. When they started, they came in quickly and were very prolific.

Good to know thanks Hellfire, and yeah i did see on the ticket that it may require support all good i got some spare bamboo stakes I was using on tomato plants a few years ago. I'll monitor its progress and if it looks like the plant is starting to get a bit weighty i'll stake it up.

My Trinidad Scorpion Butch Taylor is much the same as what you described, it's been slow off the mark but now it's got more buds on it than I can even count.... I cut off all the branches on the main stem and the growth that's coming through now on the main stem is unreal. Looking like it's going to be a high production plant. Just hope my reaper is the same =P i've got it in a decent size pot so it should have enough room to spread out and do what it needs to do. It's summer over here in Australia where I am and its getting humid as well so good conditions for chilli plants =P

Last edited:
Do Reapers put out more pollen that ghost peppers and easily self-pollinate indoors, or are they like Ghost peppers that require assistance? I don't see any pollen at all on the Ghosts. Even going from hundreds of flowers with a q-tip I see nothing on them. Yet I am getting at least some pods setting.

Reaper seeds are made out of unobtainium around here in Canada, so ordered some from Atlantic Seeds Company. They turned out to be some unknown not very hot C. annuum cultivar. So I turned to Amazon.ca and ordered from a vendor that had some reasonable ratings. They turned out to be annuums too. So then I ordered from another vendor, and now those plants are looking sketchy by their leaf shape and growing habit. So I decided to buy dried whole Reapers, rip the seeds out of them and give those a germination try last week. No sprouts yet, but I keep them on the heat mat with the temperature controller set at 85°f (30°C). I worry a little that these dried peppers are either heat treated during hydration or irradiated which would interfere with my germination plans. But I'll try anything to grow them now. Lol

Back