• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding General question about crossing

So, can someone please help me out on this. I'd like to start a small cross project and I'd like to make sure I have all of this understood correctly. So for example, I cross a scorpion and a habanero, I harvest the crossed pods, grow out the seeds and that would be an F1 correct? And F2, F3 and so on would follow the same pattern, harvest and grow out...

If so, then do I cross it again or just isolate it and keep on harvesting and growing out until I get the desired pod shape and flavor?

And suggestions on what I should try to cross?

I'd like to come out with a Trinidad Moraga scorpion shape and flavor, but much less heat if possible.

The aim of growing things is to get what you want . You want consistency and predictability. On this forum they will talk about the stability of a cross. Stability=predictability.

You can cross as much as you want and cross f1 with f1 , but there will be no predictability or consistency.

No use getting the perfect pepper , but it's totally unstable. It's still a lot of fun though. :party:

`
`
i5yfabZ.jpg

Now that being said, I read somewhere in one of these topics that I can not cross a pubesence with anything else. Now can I cross a baccatum with a Chinesne? Or do I need to stay within each specific type? So chinense x chinense, baccatum x baccatum and so on.

I may have found something helpful, is this good to go by?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190124-095054~3.png
    Screenshot_20190124-095054~3.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 61
Blitz527 said:
Now that being said, I read somewhere in one of these topics that I can not cross a pubesence with anything else. Now can I cross a baccatum with a Chinesne? Or do I need to stay within each specific type? So chinense x chinense, baccatum x baccatum and so on.
the guide on this page may be helpful in answering some of your questions  :)

https://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

:cheers:

Blitz527 said:
I may have found something helpful, is this good to go by?
 For viability of potential crosses; at first glance it seems correct, however there are purple flowered annuum, chinense, chacoense,  praetermissum , frutescens, etc.
so for identification based on flower i would say that chart you posted is lacking.

I took a look at the one on the page you supplied as well and it seems to be the same. But it explains a lot and gives me a good understanding. I believe I have an idea of what I would like to try and produce.

Back