• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Genetics ? Seed saving

I bought a 1/2 oz bag just labeled as habanero seeds from the company I buy all my garden seeds from. As I am about the only one who eats them I only kept 4 plants going. 3 out of the 4 wound up being regular orange habs. The fourth took forever to put pods on and best I can tell turned out to be a chocolate habanero. Way hotter than the orange. What is the probability that the chocolate pod seeds will be chocolates or will they be chocolate/orange hybrid? They were grown in a high tunnel for a while until a storm took the plastic off. Thanks for the info.

If all you were worried about was the bees, I'd say chocolate.  Although there is always a chance of cross pollination, peppers tend to be self pollinating.  Thing is, you don't really have a clue who mama is.

Tarzan, OK you have a point.  You always know who mama is but you can never be sure what she is till you live with her for a time.

ajdrew said:
Tarzan, OK you have a point.  You always know who mama is but you can never be sure what she is till you live with her for a time.

This -- you only know partially who Mama is - as you only know her dominate traits that show in her offspring -- you have no idea what her recessive traits are and/or how they will combine with her various Papa's and which of those will present in her girls and future generations of offspring.

Thanks for the info. There is a very high potential for cross pollination as there are tons of native bees, flies, and a honey bee hive close. The plants are also basically growing on top of each other. They are in rows 20"apart with 24"interrow. I am more asking for personal replication rather than having a 100% specific pepper. I assume you could cut and root peppers also. Kind of like pot the bastard children are usually the best.

Cross pollenation from this year is only one factor, and not a large one.  Peppers are generally self-pollenating and cross rates rarely exceed 10-15%.

The major factor will be the nature of the current plant.  If it is a F1 (first generation) cross/hybrid/mutant, then there is roughly a 1 in 4 chance that the children will be like it.  If instead it is a from a seed from a stable chocolate variety that got mixed with the orange habs, then there is a much better chance.

1) Given thought to over-wintering it?

2) Look for a better seed source.

Back