• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating Bhut Jolokia Seeds

Hi All,

Newbie to growing chilli's from seeds, I have got some Jalapeno's germinated, there about 5cm high at the moment.

I have got some Bhut Jolokia seeds and i would love to have a crack at getting them going. For my jalapeno's i just used a potting mix mixed with a medium vermiculite, they seem to have done well, they were grown in a mini seed hot house placed on top of a heat mat.

Would this method work on the Bhut Jolokia seeds.

Any help / info greatly appreciated

Aus-Billy \m/

also, growing them in the mini seed hothouse with a heat mat, do i need to water regularly, it seems to be a lot of condensation in the hot-house, the soil appears visibly dampish. Is this enough or do i need to water more.

Thanks

\m/

Either Im very lucky or the exception to the rule, but I get Bhuts to germinate rather quickly. Usually within 8-9 days. (dont ask me about my miserable luck with Scorpions). If you keep it covered and can still see condensation inside the dome, then you are usually good. Just keep it moist, but not soggy, on top of the soil.

+1 on that from ditter.
The difference between soil and peat pellets is there is a higher germination ratio with the soil. The pellets, at least for ME, just make it easier to know when to water.
MY rule of thumb with soil is a wait until its dry enough that it starts to pull away from the sides a little. (At least when they are babies.) But, inside a heat box type deal, you may not have to water again at all.

When germinating in a covered seedling tray, you generally do not need to water for some time. The cover helps to keep the moisture from evaporating away, and also helps the temperature and humidity level stay at a constant rate. Once the seedlings have sprouted, you do need to take the cover off, or you may have problems associated with too much moisture.

. I've planted 12 Bhut Jolokia seeds, 10 in coir pucks; 4 on the 7th of June, nothing. Six on the 19th of June and 2 days ago 2 sprouted. The other 2 are in a paper towel, in a zip-lock, in a dark drawer; that was 9 days ago and nothing. Bhuts suck for germination rates IME. ;)

My bhuts took about 6 or 7 days to germinate but I had them on a heat mat with a covered tray and a constant temp of 84 degrees F. I had great germination rates with them.

My chinenses all usually take 4-10 days to germinate with a good heat source. I always pick out any bad looking seeds before hand, and I usually use the paper towel method which saves tonnes of space vs. a mini-dome greenhouse

I havent planted any Bhut's this year, but will next. I usually soak my seeds over night, then sow the next day. Germination on all seeds Ive done that way is pretty good. Most pop up within a week.

Back