• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germinating in gel... wuuuut..!!??

I can't really say how much soaking helps % wise, but it did seem to speed up my 2nd and 3rd sets this year...plus, the first batch was full of seed helmets. The last 2 batches only had one. So it definitely makes a difference with them getting out of their shell...

How are the test tube gel babies coming?

Just started mine in agar yesterday night. Here's a rundown:-
Seeds i can afford to lose :-

xe35l5.jpg

Agar in container, silly thing took me an hour to make using filtered and boiled water.

9sxb0g.jpg

The powder i used to make the agar
24vk1h0.jpg

I inserted the seeds into the agar by cutting a slit and then pushing the seeds down into the slit.
The agar feels pretty dry and a bit hard, I hope its not too hard for the seedling's roots to grow into.

2zf3801.jpg

See them seeds? It should pop out in 2-3 days, given the variety. Thanks for looking.

i just put a dozen in the gel crystals i have... but i had to smash it up because they were 1/2" chunks... so i smashed it up, made holes on the bottom of the cups and put them under a humidity dome... i gotta take pics today and post them up... but i'm fat and lazy... LOL...

i got some sprouts in the gel... i think 3 days ago too... the same time as the ones i have in the potting soil... i have the same amount of seeds in gel and soil in the same exact tray... if the gel works better, i'm gonna use it from now on...

i promise i'll get pics later today... i'm waiting for it to warm up outside... it's freezing outside going to my room...

um... i guess that post i made earlier ^^^ was the vicodin talking... LOL... but here are some pics...

Photo0101_2.jpg

Photo0102_2.jpg

Photo0100_2.jpg

8 sprouts that are chili plants and 0 chili plants sprouting out of the soil mix... fml... that's good enough for me... gonna start germinating in gel i guess... i bet they're easier to separate than in soil or paper towels...

Nothing happening here. I should have used different seeds as I'm not sure about the ones I did use. I'll toss in something I know should germinate and get back to everyone.

Its been over a week, and no sprouts for me in agar.
Those were easy to germ varieties too.

Moving on...

um... i'll take a pic tonight, and post them up mañana...

but remind me.... LOL...

i think i'm only going to use gel for now on...

Back