• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germinating pubescens

The pubescens seeds I planted last year didn't turn out so any suggestions out there from the pubescens growing crowd. Nothing like not repeating the same mistakes twice.

They usually take a long time for everything - germination, growing, fruiting etc... I will typically give a 24 hr soak in a weak Chamomille Tea solution and germinate in soil with keeping the soil in the mid 70's - I have done ok with this method - then I plant in large pots in semi shaded area

I've grown 3 pubescens and they all germinated normally in ~5-10 days without soaking or anything. I don't really think they're any more difficult than other varieties, maybe the seeds just weren't extremely viable?

I have tried seed stock from 2 sources. The tea does help,the humidity in NC is to much I guess. The plants last about 5 months and die ? I may just order a plant if I decide to try this year. My seeds are still germinating week 2-3...

@MGIB - I found that having the plants in full sun dooms them to do anything but wither and die. Mine are usually under my Pergola and get the afternoon sun for a few hours. They dont tend to need much fertilizer and like a watering with Epsom every so often. I pollinate the flowers with a Q-tip from flower to flower or diddle with my fingers. My wife just laughs at me when I do that so I wait till shes gone :)

The pubescens seeds I planted last year didn't turn out so any suggestions out there from the pubescens growing crowd. Nothing like not repeating the same mistakes twice.

My experience as others have mentioned is germinating Pubescens seeds requires patience. I had 20/20 seeds sprout from seeds that I haphazardly sowed into the garden. The pod I took the seeds from was spoiled and not suitable for consumption.

I put down earlier difficulties to trying to germinate older seed without adequately pre-soaking them. The fresher were fine without pre-soaking.

I have tried seed stock from 2 sources. The tea does help,the humidity in NC is to much I guess. The plants last about 5 months and die ? I may just order a plant if I decide to try this year. My seeds are still germinating week 2-3...

Can you describe the local climate and elevation of the location where you grew them?

@MGIB - I found that having the plants in full sun dooms them to do anything but wither and die. Mine are usually under my Pergola and get the afternoon sun for a few hours. They dont tend to need much fertilizer and like a watering with Epsom every so often. I pollinate the flowers with a Q-tip from flower to flower or diddle with my fingers. My wife just laughs at me when I do that so I wait till shes gone :)

Did you have trouble with C. Pubescens plants in direct sunlight that are in dark coloured containers? I have most of my plants in a lighter shade of container.

Are you at a higher elevation that is accompanied by more UV light?

I have a couple of varieties that handle direct sunlight in the morning. I have seen the effects of hot sunny days in the form of leaf margins curling up and flower drop but have yet to see a plant drop dead from it.

Germination is one problem I've never had with Pubescens. Getting them to produce well is another story

+1,

This year I will be planting some in a semi-shade area (early morning sun only). It seemed the late after high temp and direct sun caused blossom drop, when everything else around produced.

Greg

Don't let them get root bound either. I've found that Pubescens prefer bigger pots then other plants of the same size

Back