• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating seeds from unripe pods

hi friends

i have a very important question to you and hopefully i get some help/info

here we go:
2 years ago i got some nice habanero pods from a friend which were unripe i.e. green at that time.
i put them into the refrigator until consuming and after many days they matured into a peach/orange color. i pulled out the seeds and saved them for further grows and consumed the pods.

this year i try to grow this variety so i sowed some seeds many weeks ago but still have no germination.

well, i know that it is hardly possible to get plants out of seeds which came out from unripe pods but none the less i made some observation with other chili strains which showed me quite the opposite i.e. seeds from immature pods germinated!

my question:
is there any method to increase the germination rate of such seeds?
i´ve read something about osmopriming some time ago - i dont know if this a scientific fact or just a hoax.

thanx for clearing this up

with hot regards
Chilinferno

PS: unfortunetely my friend doesnt have the plant anymore :(

your not going to have much luck sounds like the seeds were immature. soaking them prior to sowing helps in a water peroxide solution and ive also read some stuff on scarification. but i dont know if i would waste my time i would start over with some good seeds. pm me and send sasbe or sase and i will send you some seeds.

I also wondered the same thing yesterday. My wife loves serranos, but she only likes the one in the stores. Last year i got serrano seeds, and they turned out to be like 1/2 inch mini serranos! She did not like that! lol

Anyways, i went to many stores but i could not find any ripe red serranos, so i decided to get some green ones, put them in a paper bag with a banana and see if they ripen. Either way, if they ripen or not, i'll try germinating the seeds.

I thought that I wouldn't really have much luck from the chocolate Billy Boy Douglah that I got and pulled the seeds from an unripe pod from Baker's Peppers, I just wasn't that patient, and didn't realize that the seeds would not germinate most likely until right after I cut it open lol.. but I dried them out, and unfortunately my cat knocked the paper plate around that I had put on the table for a little bit, and mixed in with a few other seeds, but all the Douglah seeds had been slightly brown, but a lot of them dried up to be mostly white.. so I recently took the ones that had a little brown to them, and figured I would see if I could get any to germinate from the paper towel method since I wasn't going to waste space in my seed flat for bad seeds.. but anyways, I checked this morning and one of them is just starting to pop open, I am going to get a could cells from a cut up flat I had ready and transplant that and see if any more come..

with that said, I am not 100% sure the ones I picked back up were the BB chocolate douglah that I had.. but I am confident enough that I will give them some room in the tent to grow out and see what they are.. if anything they are either that or chocolate hab crosses or paper lanterns or something like that.. so if anything, it's something good.. next year will be great being on this site because I can hunt and trade/buy all the seeds I want pretty much

so it's worth a shot, but I personally wouldn't devote cells to them, for me, I would use the paper towel method, but for everything else I like just putting them in seed starting mix since I really don't have a ton of seeds to be germinating and chucking out if I have too many germinating

I also wondered the same thing yesterday. My wife loves serranos, but she only likes the one in the stores. Last year i got serrano seeds, and they turned out to be like 1/2 inch mini serranos! She did not like that! lol

Anyways, i went to many stores but i could not find any ripe red serranos, so i decided to get some green ones, put them in a paper bag with a banana and see if they ripen. Either way, if they ripen or not, i'll try germinating the seeds.

I've gotten unripe serrano to germinate. I have about 6 serrano seedlings. Hope it works out for you.

In general, unripe pods = unripe seeds. Throw some in a germination tray and see what happens. You might get lucky BUT with any type of Chinense, you have to be patient.

your not going to have much luck sounds like the seeds were immature. soaking them prior to sowing helps in a water peroxide solution and ive also read some stuff on scarification. but i dont know if i would waste my time i would start over with some good seeds. pm me and send sasbe or sase and i will send you some seeds.

Thanx my friend but that´s not the deal.
i have plenty of seeds of various strains and species.
the thing is that the pods were really unusual. they looked like a bell pepper but were chinense and i also liked the color. so this is the reason why i try hard to germinate at least one single seed.

yeahh, this is exactly what i´ve done: soaking them in water mixed with H2O2. now they are sitting on a wet cotton pad in a sterile chamber.

cross your fingers plz

...and thanx a bunch for your offer

BUT with any type of Chinense, you have to be patient.

man, that´s so true. i had some other chinenses in the germ chamber and most of them popped up about one month later. this is so crazy. nonetheless i am very patient - at least they germinate after some time, that´s the important thing!

What everyone else said. I had 80% germination on seeds I took from unripe cayennes. The seeds were over a year old as well. I had to cut the plant down because I didn't have room for it and frosts were imminent so I hung the whole plant upside down and let all the unripe guys start to ripen on the vine. I saved some of the pods and dried em whole, the seeds stayed viable. If you can get the pods to turn color they will often give you a couple viable seeds but it's not the same with every variety every time. Keep the seeds warm and damp and you never know, but there's no real 'secret'. I'm pretty sure the peroxide just helps to eliminate anything that might cause mold/fungus to grow on the seeds before they pop. But yeah, those chinense strains can take 20 days or more to pop so just be patient and you'll never know what'll happen. Good luck.

@mrz1988

thanx for your comment, that gives me some hope :halo:

i am very patient - it doesnt matter how long they´d take until germination if at least one seed popps up

i´ll keep u updated
regards

Back