• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating seeds... in an aquarium???

I don't quite believe it either. So I was bored one day, and decide to feed my fishes a trinidad scorpion seed (I know, I'm a nice owner, right? But they didnt seem to react anyways). They didnt eat it, so it was left there to float, and sink somewhere. So it's been 2 weeks or so since then, and look what I find in the very front of the aquarium!

dsc00263lg.jpg

(Quite a bit of algae, I know.)

No leaves, but it's grown quite a bit. I see a root as well!

i haven't tried it with my pepper seeds but i do through in millet & grain seeds that i feed to my finches into my aquarium and it grows very well. i have bags of orange habs & scotch bonnet seed, i think that's what i will do today. thanks for the inspiration and merry christmas!

Your aquarium looks horrible. I have a 300 gallon tank, I germinate seeds on top of the aqurium, the temp maintained in the tank is 85 degrees. Which I use as a giant heating mat.

I hope there are no fish in that ill maintained tank.

Your aquarium looks horrible. I have a 300 gallon tank, I germinate seeds on top of the aqurium, the temp maintained in the tank is 85 degrees. Which I use as a giant heating mat.

I hope there are no fish in that ill maintained tank.

It's the bottom inch or so that has that algae growth like that, the rest above is neat and tidy. I like to keep the algae below for the algae eaters.

It's the bottom inch or so that has that algae growth like that, the rest above is neat and tidy. I like to keep the algae below for the algae eaters.

Post a picture of the entire aquarium, never seen a 2 layer (crappy on bottom, tidy on top) aquarium............

that algae looks a bit overwhelming. My wife would have a fit if my tank had that much algae in it. Even if it was only on the bottom portion. That is pretty neat though,spouting a ts in a fish tank filled with water. I have 2 pacus in mine and no veg. will last in it at all, they eat everything. I would recommend buying a few more plecos though.

that algae looks a bit overwhelming. My wife would have a fit if my tank had that much algae in it. Even if it was only on the bottom portion. That is pretty neat though,spouting a ts in a fish tank filled with water. I have 2 pacus in mine and no veg. will last in it at all, they eat everything. I would recommend buying a few more plecos though.

If it were a bit bigger, but a 5 gallon tank is much too small for plecos. I used to have a few Otocinclus cats, but they simply aren't tolerant of even a slight imperfection in the water...

If it were a bit bigger, but a 5 gallon tank is much too small for plecos. I used to have a few Otocinclus cats, but they simply aren't tolerant of even a slight imperfection in the water...

So what algae eaters do you have in the tank now?

You said earlier, the reason for the algae was to feed your algae eaters.

You are having "water imperfections" due to lack of maintainence.

So what algae eaters do you have in the tank now?

You said earlier, the reason for the algae was to feed your algae eaters.

You are having "water imperfections" due to lack of maintainence.

Yeah, lack of mainainence, I get a little lazy sometimes. I usually change the water once every 3 weeks or so. As for the algae eaters, they are snails. a lot of small ones. Some shrimp as well.

I do the same thing for the bottom feeders (Snails) in mine, only i have a seperate, hidden small tank that i have several rocks on that I allow algae to grow on that I switch out as the snails devour it.

I will have to try this with seeds! I just got my first batch of homegrown seeds from a pepper i grew, and I have been waiting for an excuse to start germinating them early

congrats on the seed, but I agree with armac and you have a serious problem with the tank. I a healthy thriving tank shouldn't grow algae at all. I have several tanks and over 500 gallons combined and none of them grow any algae at all, not even the planted tanks.

so, after posting back in Dec, i tossed 5 red scotch bonnets and 5 orange habs into my small 10 gallon aquarium that has feeder guppies and common pond snails(common for my region). the tank does not have a heater but gets direct sunlight during the morning. there is 1, 15 watt light bulb, also a pump drives an airstone. it took about a month and appears 4 seeds germinated. 2 seedlings have been free floating in the aquarium - doesn't this just break all the rules! today, i removed the free floaters and put them into my dwc unit with a cover to keep leaves from drying out until they become acustom to not being submersed.

(if i try it again, i think i would get one of those fry separators to keep the seeds centrally located and keep them from floating around - not sure what i am going to do with the seedlings that are still in the tank)

P1000335.jpg

P1000340.jpg

P1000338.jpg

hahah a new germination method taking the pepper world by storm??? I still have several tanks setup and tons of fry growing equipment including those little grow nets and containers to isolate fry.. I may try and drop in a few seeds into my planted tank since it gets an increased amount of c02 via injection and has about 2" of aqua soil on the bottom..

Back