• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating Seeds in Water

I've read of people getting unwanted germination of seeds in fermenting recipes so this got me thinking. If that's possible in vinegar and paper towel, why not just in distilled water then sow as soon as they show roots. Anyone ever done this?

As an experiment, I'm leaving 5 datil seeds in the soak and see if they do germinate and survive a transplant from h2o to coco. Might even put it far from the internet modem/router :rofl:

I have tried it dude , they wont germinate . Only seeds such as beans and other big ones germinate in water.
If the level of water is just up to the seed surface and the humidity is high they will . But they mostly dont make it through. Good luck.

fern123 said:
I have tried it dude , they wont germinate . Only seeds such as beans and other big ones germinate in water.
If the level of water is just up to the seed surface and the humidity is high they will . But they mostly dont make it through. Good luck.

Thanks for the info fern. I've sown 20+ seeds and ran out of coco today so rather then throwing these away, might as well continue.

Did the roots came out at all or they mold? If they did get molds, probably a drop of h2o2 might help.

The roots just peek out , that's in full water and then they stop. Whereas low water they don't exactly stand , try to plant em in cotton or tissue paper as others on the forum suggest. It will give you higher success.

The seed coat will just continue to absorb water until it falls off of the germ completely before it germinates... this is not what you want.  I soak my seeds in water for 24 hours before sowing them into a moistened soil-less media.  If I accidently let them go past 36 hours what i described will occur, and germination rates will fall drastically. 

All you are trying to achieve with soaking the seeds is to give them a head start on hydrating the seed coat... but you dont want to drown them in the process.

I should note that I soak my seeks in well-water.

i tossed orange hab and red scotch bonnet seeds into my unheated fish aquarium and they germinated. they grew roots and leaves but did not grow into large plants, just seedlings.

Reminds me of the hydroponic worms I accidentally had growing in my AACT... I only had filtered worm castings in nylon mesh bags( mesh so fine that the castings themselves can barely escape).... There were no worms in the castings themselves... but there definitely could have been cysts, whcih hatch into baby worms.  I let the tea brew for 36 hours and when I turned off the air pumps... lo and behold there were about 7 live, fully grown red wrigglers in the bottom of the bucket... apparently if you have enough bubblestones the worms can  breath, drink soup ,and survive... hahaha.  

Back